Network compromised?
jchiusa
I believe my wireless network was compromised earlier this evening. While attempting to connect to an instant messenger client, my internet connection ceased twice within about a five minute period. Additionally, the computer icon appeared near the clock. This was odd since the only active connection from my desktop is plugged directly into the router. I have been noticing decreased speeds the past few weeks, but nothing as dramatic as this. I immediately disconnect the router, waited a bit, and reconnected. As quickly as I could, I turned of SSID broadcasting and changed my WEP key. Can anyone offer any additional suggestions to ensure this does not happen again. Further, should I contact Verizon? Thank you.
0 Likes
Re: Network compromised?
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2
Well to verify if you were indeed compromised you should connect to the router and view the devices listed under my network. You can also choose the advanced tab and click arp table and see the devices on your network. From both of these locations you can see all the devices connected on your network and verify if they are valid or not. As far as the behavior of your PC maybe you have a virus, malaware, adaware, etc. on your PC. Have you run the necessary software to validate your PC is clean? Jim
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jchiusa wrote:
I believe my wireless network was compromised earlier this evening. While attempting to connect to an instant messenger client, my internet connection ceased twice within about a five minute period. Additionally, the computer icon appeared near the clock. This was odd since the only active connection from my desktop is plugged directly into the router. I have been noticing decreased speeds the past few weeks, but nothing as dramatic as this. I immediately disconnect the router, waited a bit, and reconnected. As quickly as I could, I turned of SSID broadcasting and changed my WEP key. Can anyone offer any additional suggestions to ensure this does not happen again. Further, should I contact Verizon? Thank you.

Replace wep with wpa/2, infinitely more secure.

Turn off wirelss completely if you are not using it.

dcm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Use WPA or WPA2 instead of WEP

Change Router password to something other than the default or the defaults verizon sets. usually password, password1, admin, admin1

Good luck