Re: Network problems from too many devices connected to verizon router?
riggor9999
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello -

I have been working this issues since Jan.  I finally figured out it is my Roku.

I have a fairly robust home network, and since Jan I was having problems with my ActionTec router locking up every 2 ~ 3 days.

I looked at all the logs and could never find anything.  I called Verizon - worked with their Techs, got a new router, etc etc etc - but could never figure it out.

So - I borrowed a friend's cable modem, and using an old router - I got Comcast only 25/5 internet service (promo$30/month).  I separated out all the non PC devices (Wii, ATT 3G microcell, bluray players, Roku, etc).  Once I did that - I had no problems on either network.

Then I started the task of adding devices back to the Verizon network one by one.

Yesterday I added the Roku back - BAM!! The Verizon router locked up in 24 hours.  As soon as that happened I started to do a search for Roku and Verizon and found many many threads on this topic.

Today I switched it back and waiting to see / monitoring.

BritInAshburn1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well got to stage where I'm fed up or resetting the router.

Anyone recommend a resonable Wifi router to piggy back off the actiontec just for Wireless connections?

Something that has decent range and not too expensive.

0 Likes
hracer
Contributor - Level 2

This is per Actiontec...

Is there a limit to the number of Wireless connections, that the Actiontec Wireless Router or Gateway will allow?
There is no limit on the number of wireless connections, but there is a limit to the amount of traffic or bandwidth that can pass through the Actiontec. It is good to keep in mind that each computer added to the network will reduce the bandwidth available to the existing network computers. It is recommended to limit the number of connections to 45, but this number can vary depending on the activities of the network computers. For example, downloading MP3s, ISOs, or other large files, require much more bandwidth than checking email or simple Web browsing. If the network is Hosting Web, FTP or Gaming severs the limit for the number of network connections may be much lower.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

45 devices? Seems quite steep to me. Rule of thumb for high density network is no more than 8 devices per access point/radio to ensure any form of qualiy of service. More than that, and congestion will bite if there's a bit of traffic. 45 is fine if most of the devices are light on traffic or the connections are not exceeding the max bandwidth the radio carries.

0 Likes
Pstreicher11
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm glad I found this thread as I too have been having to reboot the router every other day now. I checked the router log and sure enough, I'm getting 'not enough memory' errors also. There are a couple other errors also that seem to point to my Netgear Stora backup device. I had added a second router to use as my wireless access point and have turned off the radio in the Actiontec Router. Since reading this thread I now have some investigating to do. Will let everyone know how it goes.

0 Likes
Re: Network problems from too many devices connected to Verizon router?
ksa2
Enthusiast - Level 1

First the bad news:

After experimenting more with Roku devices and working patiently with Verizon tech support, the final conclusion for me was that Actiontec (MI424WR Rev F) is going to overflow its NAT table with multiple devices, especially those, such as Roku, that likely connect to multiple streaming servers on the WAN side (which creates several NAT entries).  Even one Roku device, under moderate use, is sufficient to overflow the NAT table every few days.  Any other type of streaming device that connects to several streaming content providers will cause the same problem, as will heavy web browsing that visits many different websites (one NAT entry per server  visited, keeping in mind one website typically will serve content from many servers.)  So even if you don't have a Roku, if the total number of devices starts to go above 10 or so, you will overflow this router's unreasonably small NAT table.  The solution, of course, is to keep rebooting the router that clears the NAT table.

Possible good news:

Actiontec Rev G and Rev I both have NAT tables whose sizes are approximately 4 to 6 times larger than Rev F.  Both have double the RAM of Rev F, and 4 times and 8 times, respectively, flash memory.  Both are 802.11N capable, and both are gigabit routers, so your LAN side of the network may benefit as well as your wireless speeds.

I experimented with a Rev G, obtained privately, and the NAT table problem disappeared.  However, this particular router did not have Verizon firmware so you'll lose functionalities such as caller id, remote dvr access, etc.

So...the best solution is to get a Rev G and Rev I from Verizon with their firmware, which will also assure you technical support, etc.  Up until now, Verizon will not provide these to plans below 150/35.

However, they are now selling Rev I to those who wish to pay (approx. $115) via:  http://www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

Verizon tech support recommends those who have problems with their provided router buy this supported version.

I will receive mine tomorrow and will post results after a few weeks of usage.

(I have intentionally not addressed the issue of having to pay for this; I'd rather get it free too.  I felt that if this works out, the expense is worth avoiding the hassle of frequent reboots and random interruptions in connectivity, plus I get a gigabit router and wireless-N.)

pfdg31
Enthusiast - Level 3
After months of enduring this problem with the Roku, I also was led to the solution of a new router. I bit the bullet and spent the $130 with tax on a Rev I. I installed it a couple of days ago. So far, no problems, but it's early. Pete
pfdg31
Enthusiast - Level 3

After another week with two Rokus attached, thenetwork's rock-solid. Looks like the Rev I did it.

0 Likes
davidartus

Hasanyone written a bash script or similar to reboot the router occasionally?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes