New 300/65mbps install, Actiontec Rev I, very slow wireless...
maxiedaniels

Just got FIOS 300/65mbps package installed, with the Actiontec  Rev. I router. Set to compatiblity mode, I'm only getting ~20/20mbps if I'm standing five feet from the router. There's no other networks showing in inSSIDer.

Wondering what I can try to remedy this... if I can't, I'll downgrade the internet package.

**Whoa just realized the Max Rate in inSSIDer says 54... mbps? It should be 130 for wireless n, no?**

0 Likes
Re: New 300/65mbps install, Actiontec Rev I, very slow wireless...
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon doesn't guarantee WiFi speeds.  To verify you've got the speed you're paying for, use a wired connection.  Fix any issues with a wired connection before you worry about WiFi.

The rev I router will do 130Mbps.  You need to have it set for b/g/n compatibility mode or n only performance mode.  If it's set to b/g only, 54Mbps is the max you'll see.  Be sure your client device is also set to use n mode.

If you're getting the proper speed over Ethernet, but not WiFi, you can attached a better access point to the Verizon router.  Then, you may even be able to get 300Mbps over WiFi.  There are lots of posts in this forum and a bunch over at dslreports that describe the process of adding another router or access point.

Good Luck.