New Computer/Old Computer
MrsDee

My old computer was set up to use the wireless modem, I removed the old computer from the modem, set up the new computer to use the modem. I am up & running, but when I try to set up my old computer to wireless I can't get it set up. Infact I did have another computer set up to use the wireless connection it worked fine, but I can't set this computer up to connect to wireless. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope I explained myself.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: New Computer/Old Computer
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi, did you find the ESSID and use the WEP key as the password to connect your new PC?   These numbers are found on the service tag of your router, and if your router is standing upright, then you'll see it displayed on the left hand side. if it's laying flat - then you'll have to lift it up to see it.  

How to connect a computer with wireless capabilities to a Verizon FiOS Router using 802.11g wireless

1. Find your MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router and look on one side of the unit. You should see a label that shows the Router's wireless settings including ESSID, WEP Key and WPS Pin.
  2. Write this information down.
  3. Right click on the "Wireless Icon" on the bottom righthand corner of your screen. Then select "Connect to a network".
  4. Then select the name of the network and click "Connect".  Note: The network name should match the name of the ESSID found on the Router's Wireless label.
  5. You'll be asked to enter a password. Enter the WEP Key as the password. Make sure that you enter the WEP Key EXACTLY as it is written on the label. You'll need to pay attention to the use of capitalization etc. Then click Connect.
  6. Once you see the screen "Successfully connected to....", make sure that the boxes next to "Save this network" and "Start this connection automatically" are checked. Now click "Close".
  7. Now you'll need to select a location for where you are, i.e. Home.  Congratulations! You should be connected to the MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router using wireless.
0 Likes
Re: New Computer/Old Computer
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MrsDee wrote:

My old computer was set up to use the wireless modem, I removed the old computer from the modem, set up the new computer to use the modem. I am up & running, but when I try to set up my old computer to wireless I can't get it set up. Infact I did have another computer set up to use the wireless connection it worked fine, but I can't set this computer up to connect to wireless. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope I explained myself.

Thanks.

Are you talking about a fios router here?

Not sure I understand what you mean by removing the old computer from the modem.  There is no such thing as a modem here and if you mean the router why would you disconnect the old one as the wireless connection can handle multiple machines.  To reconnect it you should just have to switch the old computer back on and it will automatically reconnect unless you went into the router admin pages and changed the ssid and/or password.

Even if the old computer wasn't connected wirelessly the router has 4 ports and you could use any of  them to connect via ethernet cable.

0 Likes