New Computer and existing FIOS service
sherridenh

I have a new computer, my old computer is currently set up and running on FIOS. What is entailed with getting new computer going?

0 Likes
Re: New Computer and existing FIOS service
Justin46
Legend

@sherridenh wrote:

I have a new computer, my old computer is currently set up and running on FIOS. What is entailed with getting new computer going?

If you want to connect the new computer using an Ethernet cable, plug it in. Nothing else should be needed.

If you want to connect the new computer using wireless, then you will need to know the name of your network and the encryption passphrase, assuming you have encryption turned on. You should be able to look at the label on the router for the network name (ESSID) and the passphrase (key). And of course if you are using wireless with your existing computer you presumably already know that information.

I encourage you to at least initially use a wired connection to get things working, you will probably need to download and install fixes to whatever operating system you have, plus perhaps applications, and this will always be faster using a wired connection. You can also then look into the wireless settings in the router if you don't know what they are.

And if you plan to use wireless, I encourage you to change the encryption to WPA2, assuming all of your computers support that, it is far more secure than the default of WEP which most of the Verizon routers are delivered with activated. And if you don't plan to use wireless at all for computers or tablets or phones, etc., you might want to go into the router and turn the wireless off, you can always turn it back on later if needed.

Have fun.

Keller, TX 76248