New FIOS Bundle Installation Questions
frodoz737

Hi all,

Currently a TWC customer and have been using VZ "wireless" for internet.  Our 2 story Home was set up 16 years ago with 3 each POTS (for hard line phones, Home alarm and dial-up) and 3 each coax hook ups for cable TV. We now have 4 TVs, 3 computers and 3 smart phones running.  The Wife said enough and wants FIOS.

I prefer eithernet for internet access with wifi available.  Looked into the MOCA thing a few year back with the old actiontec and was not impressed.  VZ site says I have Gateway 300 up/down available to our address with all the other  stuff. 

I have 1000' CAT6A plenum cable, 700' quad shield RG6 solid core plenum coax, tooling and most connectors needed to upgrade the house.   http://www.swhowto.com/ is a site I found helpfull though out of date on the tech.

Any and all advice is requested regarding aditional equipment, bridging (if that's still needed) and issues to avoid before I commit this project.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: New FIOS Bundle Installation Questions
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're thinking of running ethernet cabling then just request that the ONT provisioning be ethernet then your router will connected to the internet via ethernet.  The router will still need to be connected to the ont via coax for the tv side.  

0 Likes
Re: New FIOS Bundle Installation Questions
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

Assuming you will subscribe to one of Verizon's triple play bundles (Internet, TV, Phone) w/Quantum TV my recommendation is to:

1) A new ONT should provide MoCA 2.0. Unless you plan to use COAX for Internet access you really don't need to swap out any MoCA 1.0/1.1 splitters (if in your configuration) for MoCA 2.0 splitters.

2) I recommend using an Ethernet connection to the ONT for Internet access. This enables you to integrate a 3rd party wireless router (I have the Linksys WRT1900AC) with your home network.

3) A standard FiOS home install w/Quantum TV will include an Actiontec Rev. I wireless b/g/n GigE router. You will need this router to initially install/activate your service with Verizon. Once established you can replace the Actiontec router if desired. However you will need to, at minimum, configure the Actiontec router to provide a MoCA IP bridge to any Verizon DRV/STBs to support certain MoCA/IP based services (e.g. Program Guide, Video on Demand, etc.).

4) You will need to rent as many DVRs/STBs/CableCARDs from Verizon for the number of TVs you want service to.

5) For Quantum TV you have to rent (1) or (2) (at max) VMS1100 Media Servers. Each VMS1100 should be connected to your primary TVs and is equipped w/6 tuners and provide DVR service and network connectivity to other TVs. Client TVs require either a IPC1100 or CableCARD to receive FiOS TV programming.