New FiOS installation
Tylergreen9
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I live in an apartment building in Brooklyn where FiOS is not currently offered, but my street is wired for FiOS. I spoke to a Verizon agent several months ago, and he said I would need to have my landlord call to give permission for Verizon to install an ONT box in our backyard. He did so, and I called Verizon back in early January to see what the next step was, and I was informed that I needed to schedule an appointment with Engineering to come install the ONT box, and that FiOS service would be available at this point. 

I called and tried to get through to Engineering, but was told they didn't accept calls from customers, and the Verizon agent put me on hold to call himself. He came back and said Engineering would contact me before the end of the month, but I never heard back from anybody. 

I'm curious what I need to do next to secure FiOS installation; every tenant in my building is stuck with Time Warner and we're all eager to sign up with FiOS, but the process is being made unnecessarily hard here. What can I do to speed this along?

0 Likes
Re: New FiOS installation
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Likely you may want to have your landlord call Verizon and request for FiOS to be installed in their building. More than likely they'll have more weight to get it installed quickly. Verizon normally approaches landlords for installation when they finish laying the cabling down and activate FiOS in the area.

As a tip to your Landlord, it's best to have him allow Verizon to install ONTs into each unit. If they install a central ONT you'll likely be stuck with VDSL-based FiOS which does not give as fast of speeds and in my opinion is more prone to failure.

0 Likes
Tylergreen9
Enthusiast - Level 1

The landlord already called to request installation back in January, and I don't think he'd be thrilled to have to call again. 

Much appreciated on the tip for getting an ONT on a per-unit basis, though. We're in a relatively small building (3 units total, probably 8-10 connected devices among those 3 units), but would you suggest that we do that regardless?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Okay. Yes, certainly go the one ONT per unit route. As long as the landlord is cool with it and knows what the trade-offs are (more holes in the wall and fiber to be ran to each unit vs reuse of existing copper and cxoax but you're getting stuck with DSL on steroids), then no harm comes out of it. Ultimately Verizon makes the final decision as to what they install but that's about it.

Likely what needs to be done here is, in many cases front-line support can put in a support ticket for someone to have Engineering reach out to have something done, whether it's upgrading the availability database or preparing buildings for FiOS. They shouldn't even need to transfer you to Engineering or give you the number.

Tylergreen9
Enthusiast - Level 1

I suppose I can try calling them back again Monday to do this again, but that's exactly what was purportedly done last time I called, and nobody ever contacted me. 

If any Verizon reps know of a better way to expedite this process, I am certainly all ears. It also doesn't help that when I tried calling Verizon about this prior to coming to the forum, the Customer Service menu has changed, and trying to do anything but install new service just dumps you to a prompt and then disconnects you.

0 Likes