Re: New G3100 Router
teegrooving
Enthusiast - Level 2

Speed and coverage is much faster than my quantum Gateway. I am happy  so far 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If anyone has an android device, can you use an app called wifi analyzer to compare wifi coverage of G1100 to the 3100?

Tabby441
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes. That's normal. It's a powersaving feature.

RollYourBoat44

I just got Fios today and a G3100 router. It doesn't have the same flexibility that my old router an ASUS RT-AC3200 had which I had hooked up to a modem to get DSL. In addition I now frequently get messages that a secure connection can not be made with various web sites, including Verizon's and need to resetablish the connection to the web site.

I have tried to connect my old router to the G3100 so I could maintain my internal home network structure. So far no success.

0 Likes
Rlacrossjr1980
Enthusiast - Level 2

One issue that I reported to Verizon is problem with dual bad devices up to N. My TV and IPad Mini 2 are up to N and don't support AC or AX. For some reason it will connect and look fine but no internet. Left  default 2G in legacy and 5G on compatibility. I have to run both modes on Legacy to get all devices to connect correctly. Did turn SON off and separated 2G and 5G to troubleshoot.  Newer devices that support AC don't seem to have the problem. So on 2G mode WiFi 4(n) and Legacy (b,g,n) work, compatibility (b,g,n,ax) DONT. 5G Legacy(b,g,n,ac) works,,,compatibility( a,n,ac,ax) and WiFi 5(ac) DONT. 

Gorg69

I too just recieved my G3100 yesterday. How does it compare to the Orbi router FIOS also offers? I thought they were sending me the Orbi, so before I call them I wanted to know if anyone has any comments about the difference between those two routers.  Thanks..

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon sells the Orbi as an add-on, not a replacement for their routers.  Verizon only supports their routers as primary.  You can use a non-Verizon router as your only router, but you will get zero support from Verizon.

If you have Verizon TV with Verizon set-top-boxes, you pretty much must have a Verizon router as primary.

The older Verizon G1100 router is a dual-band router.  The Orbi was a way to add tri-band capability and mesh networking before the G3200 came out.  It will be interesting to see if Verizon continues selling the Orbi now that the G3200 is out.

Enjoy.

bobo1950

Has anyone tried using the 6200 extender with the G3100 router? I would hate to replace my 1100 router and 2 extenders with the G3100 and 2 new extednders.

0 Likes
Rlacrossjr1980
Enthusiast - Level 2

The G3100 has better range than G1100. When I had G1100 I needed the FiOS Extender for service on the second floor. This G3100 I get my 500/500 on first floor, and farthest away from router on the second I'm still connected and can stream video. Lost I have tested it on second floor would be 20/20, but most of the time 100/100. The 5G range is double or triple, I have couple devices that connect to 5G on the second floor. Was thinking on renting G3200 to see if it really makes any difference. Connect iPhones, iPad, amazon devices, PC , laptop, PlayStation, and Smart TV. I do have the gigabyte internet, but for once my router supports more speed then my devices do. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bobo1950 wrote:

Has anyone tried using the 6200 extender with the G3100 router? I would hate to replace my 1100 router and 2 extenders with the G3100 and 2 new extednders.

The G3100 is not compatible with the FNE 6200s.