Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

New G3100 router, security setting problem

hvrf
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

New G3100 router, security setting problem

Message 1 of 4
(472 Views)

I recently upgraded to a G3100 router. I then had a couple of online orders (from freepeople.com clothing) cancelled by them because their fraud check system (maybe iovation?) couldn't verify my IP address (per their tech support). I don't use a VPN or proxy, so I suspect a router security setting might be refusing to verify external IP address requests. Any idea what setting this might be, so I can *temporarily* disable it? Thanks.
(If this is true, it might become a big problem for people, as more retailers employ such fraud checks.)

3 REPLIES 3
Cang_Household
Gold Contributor VI Gold Contributor VI
Gold Contributor VI

Re: New G3100 router, security setting problem

Message 2 of 4
(443 Views)

IP address is not related to your hardware router. There are databases of IP address reputations. Retailers may consult these databases for fraud detection. You could simply chat with a service representative on Twitter or Facebook to issue you a new IP address.

hvrf
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(365 Views)

Can I pursue this a little? I believe their software is likely aware of the IP address of my home, yes?. At the simplest, suppose their security software is set to then ping back (or some more sophisticated response). If my router discards ping requests, their software might be set to cancel the order. So is there a setting on a G3100 router to discard all ping requests (or some more sophisticated setting than ping)? Thanks.

Cang_Household
Gold Contributor VI Gold Contributor VI
Gold Contributor VI

Message 4 of 4
(352 Views)

@hvrf wrote:

At the simplest, suppose their security software is set to then ping back (or some more sophisticated response). If my router discards ping requests, their software might be set to cancel the order.

I highly doubt that's the mechanism they use. Many SoHo routers are set to block incoming ICMP requests by default. Again, I highly recommend you to chat with a service representative to re-issue you an IP.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title