New G3100 router, security setting problem
hvrf
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently upgraded to a G3100 router. I then had a couple of online orders (from freepeople.com clothing) cancelled by them because their fraud check system (maybe iovation?) couldn't verify my IP address (per their tech support). I don't use a VPN or proxy, so I suspect a router security setting might be refusing to verify external IP address requests. Any idea what setting this might be, so I can *temporarily* disable it? Thanks.
(If this is true, it might become a big problem for people, as more retailers employ such fraud checks.)

0 Likes
Re: New G3100 router, security setting problem
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

IP address is not related to your hardware router. There are databases of IP address reputations. Retailers may consult these databases for fraud detection. You could simply chat with a service representative on Twitter or Facebook to issue you a new IP address.

hvrf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can I pursue this a little? I believe their software is likely aware of the IP address of my home, yes?. At the simplest, suppose their security software is set to then ping back (or some more sophisticated response). If my router discards ping requests, their software might be set to cancel the order. So is there a setting on a G3100 router to discard all ping requests (or some more sophisticated setting than ping)? Thanks.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@hvrf wrote:

At the simplest, suppose their security software is set to then ping back (or some more sophisticated response). If my router discards ping requests, their software might be set to cancel the order.

I highly doubt that's the mechanism they use. Many SoHo routers are set to block incoming ICMP requests by default. Again, I highly recommend you to chat with a service representative to re-issue you an IP.