New HP Officejet printer does not receive faxes
Mickey110

I am using a VoIP fios telophne system. I have recently purchased a HP Officejet 4650 All-IN-One printer. My problem is my fax machine will "send" faxes but is not able to receive them. It is set for "6" rings to answer and my "Voice Mail" setting is at "4". Any Ideas?

0 Likes
Re: New HP Officejet printer does not receive faxes
jonjones1
Legend

@Mickey1 wrote:

I am using a VoIP fios telophne system. I have recently purchased a HP Officejet 4650 All-IN-One printer. My problem is my fax machine will "send" faxes but is not able to receive them. It is set for "6" rings to answer and my "Voice Mail" setting is at "4". Any Ideas?

The problem with any phone system be it hard wired landline or VoIP the answer for the fax must be set if using auto answer a lower number of rings to answer, versus a higher number of rings for voice mail. However that will always be a gotcha. If it is a regular voice call and the ring set up say is below your 4 rings for voice mail the caller will keep getting a fax tone. If you set as you write a higher ring, then your voice mail will always pick up. In this case you can only set the fax machine to manual answer and you would have to accept the fax BEFORE the 4th. Ring or you will not get the fax. 

Now in some VoIP setups you can get a virtual number or free second number that you can set up as fax send/receive only. This number is what you give out to receive faxes and it works very nicely.

i use a VoIP service and the company has given me a virtual number which I use for faxing. My device has a spot for a second Telephone connection. 

So for for now it's either set for manual receiving of faxes, or get a secondary line.