New Help! Trying to bridge an Actiontec MI424-WR REV. F and TWO Wireless Routers
xkj1985x
Enthusiast - Level 1

Alright, I'm stuck and need some assistance if anybody could provide some. 

My home is about 2900 Sq Ft and the Verizon Tech placed the Actiontec Router outside in my garage in the OnQ Panel with all the ethernet jack wirings.  

As you can imagine, a wifi signal from my garage isn't very good.

I have two new wireless routers.  A Netgear N600 and a Netgear N750.  

Right now they are setup on their own networks and each time I connect to one of the networks, it assigns a new IP Address because they aren't talking to each other, I want to change that. 

I'd like the Actiontec in the garage to be the primary router and I'd then like to have one Netgear downstairs in my living room and then another upstairs in the loft. 

I'd like ALL of these to be on the same network (192.168.1.1)

How would I go about doing this?  I thought I was good with this kind of stuff but clearly, I am not and could use some walkthrough assistance.  

ANY help would be greatly appreciated because I'm just stuck and confused at this point and just want my wifi network to work properly throughout my house and not be spotty/nonexistant in some areas of my home.  Also sick of having to change wifi networks depending on where I am throughout my house. 

Can anybody point me in the right direction for a guide or something on how to do this with the Netgear routers I have and the Actiontec Router provided to me by Verizion?

Thank You

0 Likes
Re: New Help! Trying to bridge an Actiontec MI424-WR REV. F and TWO Wireless Routers
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Best instructions found here

0 Likes
Re: New Help! Trying to bridge an Actiontec MI424-WR REV. F and TWO Wireless Routers
Mauser
Enthusiast - Level 3

In a nut shell, just turn off DHCP in the Netgear routers.

Assuming your routers are connected to the Actiontec by wire (not clear in your OP), The steps you need to take are pretty simple:

1. Change Actiontec DHCP address pool to start with 192.168.1.100 (the actual number is not important, as long as you leave a few numbers out of the pool for static addresses - I like .100 just cause it is clean to my feeble mind).
  2. Assign Netgear-1 a static address of 192.168.1.2 and disable DHCP in the router.
  3. Assign Netgear-2 a static address of 192.168.1.3 and disable DHCP in the router.

That should be all you need unless you have some other things about your network that you didn't tell us.  In this configuration, the Netgear routers work as simple wireless access points and wired switches, not as routers.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For "seamless" roaming that allows you to go from AP to AP without having a transfer stall, you can ideally set up the Netgears by disabling all of their routing functions, such as the Firewall, UPnP, DHCP server, etc, and then taking the connection from the Netgear's WAN (Internet) port and instead connecting it up to the LAN port. If all goes well, the machines behind the Netgears should be able to go from AP to AP with the same IP and maintain a signal, and also the ActionTec will pick up on these devices and serve them as if they were connected to the ActionTec themselves. When you do this, ensure the Netgears have DHCP disabled, or you will have some network problems!

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Smith6612 wrote:

you can ideally set up the Netgears by disabling all of their routing functions, such as the Firewall, UPnP, DHCP server, etc, and then taking the connection from the Netgear's WAN (Internet) port and instead connecting it up to the LAN port.

If you are connecting from Actiontec LAN to Netgear WAN, you will need the routing functions including DHCP server enabled in the Netgear.

@Op  - If you want your devices to be on a single network, I do not recommend the Actiontec-LAN to Netgear WAN configuration.

Follow the instructions here to setup the first Netgear.

Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

Rinse and repeat for the second router, using 192.168.1.3 for it's IP address.

prisaz
Legend

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@Smith6612 wrote:

you can ideally set up the Netgears by disabling all of their routing functions, such as the Firewall, UPnP, DHCP server, etc, and then taking the connection from the Netgear's WAN (Internet) port and instead connecting it up to the LAN port.

If you are connecting from Actiontec LAN to Netgear WAN, you will need the routing functions including DHCP server enabled in the Netgear.

@Op  - If you want your devices to be on a single network, I do not recommend the Actiontec-LAN to Netgear WAN configuration.

Follow the instructions here to setup the first Netgear.

Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

Rinse and repeat for the second router, using 192.168.1.3 for it's IP address.

Good instrutions unless you want your network to be double NAT with two networks/firewalls. Disable the DHCP on the second routers as the instructions state, and connect the netgear routers as LAN to LAN, they will act as just another switch on the the network with wireless access points. All devices on the network will have the same subnet/network addresses, but different host addresses. Meaning they will all talk to and see eachother.

0 Likes