New Problem, Old Issue. Ethernet not Working
ShankedS
Enthusiast - Level 2

You may recall this thread: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/FIOS-Ethernet-not-working-Wireless-works-fine/td-p/203838

If you do, well, I have the same issue once more. It's driving me a bit nuts, to be perfectly honest.

About 10 days ago I finally had a stable ethernet connection on my Desktop machine to the internet. 8 days ago I marked the other thread as solved as it was still working and thought that my problems had been solved. Unfortunately, here I am 10 days later and suddenly, without warning, the ethernet connection on my Desktop loses internet connectivity.

I tried turning the router off and then turning it back on, but none of that worked.

Right now it switches between two different states without little indication as to why it switches between them except that it tends to only do it as a I unplug the cable and then plug it back in. The two states are simply connecting to an "Unidentified Network" which is much the same as the problem I had before, and connecting to an "Unidentified Network" with "Internet Access", except, none of the applications that use internet on the computer actually have Internet access even in this state. The Unidentified Network is the key to knowing I still don't truly have internet access.

Windows Firewall is off. It's actually been off for awhile now because I forgot to turn it back on after I initially shut it off trying to get it to connect before. Windows 7 (64-bit) is up-to-date, so that's not the issue either. But something is at issue here and I'm not sure what it is. Since the Wireless works, and the Desktop downstairs works on the ethernet, I can only assume it's something with this Desktop. But I'm not sure what it is or why it's doing this.

Any help with isolating the problem so I can actually fix it and not wait almost two weeks for it to magically work again would be immensely appreciated. Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: New Problem, Old Issue. Ethernet not Working
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Have you tried installing new network drivers? It sounds like you have done just about everything else.

Another thought, do you have another router laying around, not the ones provided by Verizon? Something like a D-link or a linksys? Maybe its a problem between the computer and the Actiontec brand. I know this is grasping at straws but that looks about where you are now trying to find a solution.

0 Likes
ShankedS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've tried reinstalling the driver. I even just bought a new network card (ethernet) to see if that was the issue and I still cannot connect. I will see what happens with different routers.

0 Likes
ShankedS
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried using cmd ping (this is before trying a different router) but I'm unsure of what the results indiciate:

pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.125: Destination host unreachable

Request timed out.

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=998ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 998ms, Maximum = 998ms, Average 998ms

Then I tried it again:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),

EDIT: The pings may have happened with the USB Wireless adapter in. As I'm not getting any successful pings on a second try with the adapter out. Unfortunately, despite that, it still hasn't connected to the internet even with the adapter, though it does see the wireless connections and attempts to connect to one.

What confuses me is that it did get a reply from the router once. That must mean it sees the router in some way. The fact that a new network card (and I just tried a USB Wireless adapter) both don't work suggests that it is software related. And yet I don't know of anything on the machine which would cause such problems. I've turned any Firewall I know of off. I could try reinstalling Windows 7, but I'd rather not if it's a software problem I can find and fix first.

If I do have to reinstall, does anyone know how I might be able to back up the Windows 7 updates since I may not immediately have internet connectivity in order to do them after reinstalling?

0 Likes
ShankedS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried it with another router (though the router obviously has to be connected to the Actiontec router) and no luck.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

EDIT: The pings may have happened with the USB Wireless adapter in. As I'm not getting any successful pings on a second try with the adapter out. Unfortunately, despite that, it still hasn't connected to the internet even with the adapter, though it does see the wireless connections and attempts to connect to one.

From that comment it sound like you're running the machine with more than one network adapter in it.  The ping results show that intermittently you are seeing the actiontec router.

Why don't you remove all the wirless adapters from the machine and decide which ethernet adapter you are going to use, remove/disable all others,  and hard wire connect that adapter to your new router.  Run cmd and type in ipconfig and you should have an ip address that starts 192.168,x,x   If you don't you're not getting a dhcp address from the new router.

Assuming you do then configure the router to use a subnet othere than 192.168.1    Your new router documentation will tell you how to do this.   Typically use your browser to go to 192.168.x.1   where x is the value of the 3rd octet in your dhcp address.  Logon using the default credentials shown in your documentation and follow the pages to change the dhcp address and rage for the local router, leave the wan side of the router set to obtain a dhcp address.

If you get this far you are 1/2 way there.  The next step would be to connect the wan port of the new router to a lan port on the actiontec at which point you should be able to run a 2nd browser to 192.168.1.1

What results do you get from this?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

This wasnt a typo was it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Request timed out.

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=998ms TTL=64

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are pinging 192.168.1.1 you shouldnt be getting results from 192.168.1.125

This almost sounds like you may have an error or corruption of the hosts file.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I figured 192.168.1.25 was a second nic in the machine which is why I said to remove/disable all nics except the one that he was going to use to connect to the new router. 

Maybe 192.168.1.25 is a second router that is also configured as subnet 192.168.1.

OP, what device is assigned address 192.168.1.25   ??

0 Likes
ShankedS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello there Viafax and Spacedebris!

Apologies for not responding sooner. I decided to take a look at a Windows 7 support forum to see if the issue was something specific to that. After explaining in detail, I got this post and I followed the steps. I posted the information I got and then tried the duplex thing.

The default setting it seems is "Auto Negotiation" which obviously wasnt working.

I tried 100 Mbps Half Duplex and suddenly I had a connection. I can connect to the internet on my Desktop! So I tried 100 Mbps Full Duplex and.... no connection.

So, right now it's set to Half Duplex. But I don't even understand why it would need to be Half instead of Full, or the benefits or disadvantages to either. Right now it's working, but I wish I understood more.

The 192.168.1.25 may have been a typo, since I set the device to run off a static IP of 192.168.1.125, to my knowledge no device on the network has 192.168.1.25

But other than that brief typo, I do believe the rest of the information is as accurate as I could make it. I typed it as I looked for it, so even if it seems odd, that's what it was.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Basically full duplex means that data can be travelling in opposite directions on the line at the same time while half duplex means that data can only travel in one direction and that data that wants to travel in the other direction has to wait..  Theoretically that means that half duplex is potentially slower than full duplex, however realistically this is probably not true in the typical home user environment.  In a multiple application server environemt running the connections in full duplex as opposed to half can increase performance significantly.