New Quantam gateway - need help w/connection
ejk8231
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received my new Quantam Gateway Router in the mail today.  Followed the 3 (well only got to step 2) simple steps that came in the box. After the white blinking light stopped it turned red and I cannot get a connection.  I can re hook up my old Fios router and it works just fine.  Any ideas?  I tried this 3 times.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New Quantam gateway - need help w/connection
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The WAN IP address needs to be released from the old router before the new router can get an IP address and thus a connection. You have three choices.

1. Login to the old router and find the IP address release option on the broadband connection.  Unplug the router just after the release is done.  Then plug in the new router and go.
  2. Unplug the old router and wait two hours for the lease to expire in Verizon's DHCP server.  Then plug in the new router.
  3. Unplug the old router and call/chat Verizon and have them force the lease to expire.  Then plug in the new router.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The WAN IP address needs to be released from the old router before the new router can get an IP address and thus a connection. You have three choices.

1. Login to the old router and find the IP address release option on the broadband connection.  Unplug the router just after the release is done.  Then plug in the new router and go.
  2. Unplug the old router and wait two hours for the lease to expire in Verizon's DHCP server.  Then plug in the new router.
  3. Unplug the old router and call/chat Verizon and have them force the lease to expire.  Then plug in the new router.

Good Luck.

ejk8231
Enthusiast - Level 1

Option 1 worked thanks

0 Likes