New Quantum G-1100 have a VPN server?
md99
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does the new Quantum G-1100 have a VPN server?  Trying to decide how to reconfigure my network to ditch the actiontec router. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New Quantum G-1100 have a VPN server?
md99
Enthusiast - Level 3

VPN server is a feature that would allow me to connect remotely to my home network.  ASUS devices have this feature.  Sounds like the G-1100 is still a pretty limited device.  Not sure why we still get limited devices for WiFi routers...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure what you mean by a "VPN Server."  However, it really doesn't matter as the G1100 doesn't have any VPN features beyond VPN pass through.

Enjoy.

md99
Enthusiast - Level 3

VPN server is a feature that would allow me to connect remotely to my home network.  ASUS devices have this feature.  Sounds like the G-1100 is still a pretty limited device.  Not sure why we still get limited devices for WiFi routers...

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Now that I know what you meant, I'll add that VPN server isn't something most people are looking for.  I'd call it a fairly advanced feature.  The G1100 is not targeted at super users.  It is a very good, general purpose device for the majority of FiOS users.  I woudn't call it "limited," just mainstream.

At $199, I do think it's overpriced as there are plenty of other routers at that price or below with more features.  Verizon sometimes discounts it with certain bundles and/or speed tiers.  They've had it on sale in the past.  At lower prices or even free, it's a decent box for most people.

Since you're a super user, you probably don't want to bother with the Quantum.  Stick with an Actiontec and put your router behind it.  There's a good FAQ over on DSL Reports that describes the different ways to use a non-Verizon router and the trade-offs.  If you don't have TV, you can simply switch your ONT to Ethernet WAN and then plug your router in (be sure to release your WAN IP before removing the Verizon router, or you'll have to wait two hours for it's lease to expire).

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Enjoy.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@md99 wrote:

Decide what service you want and build a port servicing rule for it to a device that will service your request.

Personally I use RDP as it basically can do just about anything I would need to do on the network.

0 Likes
TheSled

I purchased the New Quantum G-1100 mainly because I was told by Verizon it was configured for Fios customers and my first Fios router was out dated (although it did allow me to access VPN).  

VPN is a common need for most people who work from home.  Is there any way or plans to configure this router to handle 

PPTP VPN connections, such as  TCP port 1723 (for PPTP tunnel maintenance traffic) as well as PPTP for  IP port 47 for tunneling data. Port 47 is designed for "General Routing Encapsulation" or GRE packets.

If there are no plans, then what is my alternative?

0 Likes