New Quantum Gateway G1100 Prohibited LAN devices?
ced4

Hi I just received a new Quantum Gateway for FiOS TV and Internet, the LAN ports on the device are covered with a sticker prohibiting other than consumer electronics to be used.  What devices are the einsteins at FiOS refering to?  Are they trying to prevent attaching ethernet switches to expand the number of LAN ports?  Has Verizon disabled NAT functionality? 

Anybody know what Verizon is up to?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New Quantum Gateway G1100 Prohibited LAN devices?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably there to provide legal cover  if somebody plugs in a medical device or some other mission critical thing.

NAT is a must for these routers; don' t know why you'd assume it wasn't there.  WIthout it, they would be worthless.

Switches are fine.  Many folks, myself include, expand our wired networks using switches.

As long as you aren't running a trauma unit or a nuclear power plant, ignore the label.  The G1110 is a very good router.  Use it and enjoy it.

Enjoy.

View solution in original post

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Pull the stickers off. They are just there to keep out dirt and dust.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably there to provide legal cover  if somebody plugs in a medical device or some other mission critical thing.

NAT is a must for these routers; don' t know why you'd assume it wasn't there.  WIthout it, they would be worthless.

Switches are fine.  Many folks, myself include, expand our wired networks using switches.

As long as you aren't running a trauma unit or a nuclear power plant, ignore the label.  The G1110 is a very good router.  Use it and enjoy it.

Enjoy.

yapishkahilt
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's what gs0b said. It's an attempt to limit legal liability in the event that a business or other entity uses the router to connect a commercial device the correct functioning of which is critical in avoiding financial losses or, in a worst-case scenario, a negative health consequence (including death).

For example, in modern hospitals, nurses' stations are often connected to the devices found in patients' rooms that measure patients' resperatory rates, blood pressure, heart rates, etc. via ethernet connections. Failure to report a change in a patient's vitals immediately will delay the alarm at the nurses' station, delaying the response to a potential medical crisis, and could result in serious consequences. Verizon is essentially saying not to use the G1100 for such networks. I've never looked into it, but I assume that there is "commercial-grade" equipment specifically designed for environments in which failed connections are not an option, like hospitals. They probably are designed to provide redundant connections and even potentially alarms to signal lost connections, given the potentially life-or-death implications of lost connections.

It's safe to assume that anytime you see a sticker covering something that requires removal to use an item, it's being done as an attempt to limit liability for that item's use in an environment or manner not intended by the provider/manufacturer.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes