New Quantum Gateway/ slow 2.4
MF1970
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently installed the new Quantum Gateway and the 2.4 side consistenlty drops signal.

The 5.0 band works with no issues. I did not have any wifi problems with the old router, I just wanted a stronger signal and the supposed benefits of having a dual band router.

I have tried adjusting the wifi channel from auto to the least used channel. But the same problem occurs, the siganl will just drop for several minutes and then get back to normal.

Re: New Quantum Gateway/ slow 2.4
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning,

Other than the channel change, have you done anything else to the router?  Factory resets, running in home agent to auto fix, etc? 

~Eva

0 Likes
MF1970
Enthusiast - Level 2

I haven't done the factory reset. Its strange that just a normal reset fixes it for a while then it goes back to dropping off. I have tried some smaller tweaks like changing the mtu but it didn't seem to change anything.

0 Likes
MF1970
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I did a factory reset and the 2.4 channels still seem slower than I had with the previous router. Should I just return this thing and go back to the advanced router and buy and extender?

0 Likes
yeldarbog1

I have the same issue.  My old "FiOS Advanced W-Fi Router" seemed to have a better range and signal strength.  I am thing of returning this router.

0 Likes
SeanP19671
Enthusiast - Level 2

MF1970...I purchased the new Quantum Gateway router and I am having the same issue you describe.  My Rev. I Actiontec worked with no problem but I wanted the upgraded speed and range the Quantum Gateway promised.  When I first set up the router it worked great and then within 12 hours or so the 2.4GHz band disconnects and the only way I can get it back is to reset the router.

Would you mind sharing with me how you resolved your issue?

0 Likes
rspiewak

I'm getting 80+ Mbps on 5g, but 4-6 Mbps on 2.4.

Is there a way to partition the bandwidth?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Has nothing to do with that.

Issue is related to WIFI speed.

Unfortunately, a multitude of issues can affect wifi speed.

If you have an android phone, download an app called wifi analyzer.

It can help you optimize the channel of your wifi to improve performance.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is a one year warranty on the router purchased from Verizon. See if they can Exchange it for you. It's possible the 2.4Ghz radio is bad.

If you're able to, run a Wi-Fi Analyzer program which can visualize where your network and other networks are located on the 2.4Ghz channels. It'll help us understand the environment a bit more, since in FiOS areas those 2.4Ghz APs tend to be a bit more chatty.

0 Likes