New Quantum Modem Drops Conections Randomly
Beanzy1

I have recently upgraded to the new quantum Modem on 75/75, since I go the new modem, this is the second one I received, It still drops connections when gaming or on xbox live, even on phone calls over wifi calling. The replacement modem did not fix my issue, I would like a Technician to come check my box and line. Im very upset about this.

0 Likes
Re: New Quantum Modem Drops Conections Randomly
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Verizon does not guarantee wireless connections. Are you hard wired to the xbox? What lights do you have lit on the router when the connection drops and what color are they?

0 Likes
Beanzy1

Yes I am connected hard wired via my Linksys which is connected to my Fios G1100, The Lights do Not Change Color

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Remove the linksys and connect straight to the Fios Quatum Gateway router to see if you drop the connection.

0 Likes
Maywum
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been getting this issue also. My connection randomly drops for around 30 seconds maybe once every 2-3 hours. However, this last night has been the worst. I was DCing every hour or so for 30 seconds and at one point I was down for 30 minutes since the router couldn't grab a DHCP WAN address. I called verizon asking if there was an outage in my area and they said there wasn't. I'm hard wired in and the only thing between me and the Quantum router is an ASUS AC-Router set up in AP mode. The ASUS router has also been taken out of the equation and i'm still getting the issue. 

Note that I've had the ASUS router acting as an AP with my old MI424WR router before I upgraded to the quantum router. Everything worked perfectly fine before. The day I set the quantum router up, I was getting DC issues almost instantly. This seems to be an issue with the router itself or the firmware. If the problem continues, I'll have to bite the bullet and downgrade back to a 10/100 router... Since verizon seems they are behind on the times.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you having problems conencting to Internet or to router?

If Internet:

How is router connected to ONT?

Coax or Ethernet?

If coax, try connection to make sure it is on tight.

0 Likes
Maywum
Enthusiast - Level 2

@CRobGauth wrote:

Are you having problems conencting to Internet or to router?

If Internet:

How is router connected to ONT?

Coax or Ethernet?

If coax, try connection to make sure it is on tight.

@CRobGauth

Connecting to the internet. However the DC might be on the router side. There have been two different issues. 

Issue #1: Random DC which looks like its from the router side, causes a loss of internet connection and resets in about 30 seconds. This happens once every 2-3 hours and sometimes even once every hour. This is most obvious when in the middle of watching a stream or playing an online game as you lose connection to everything.

Issue #2: Complete loss of WAN DHCP on the router. The router loses the DHCP address that it obtained from outside of the home network (ONT? or DataCenter?). This is fact since you can go look on the Router UI and see that the 'Connect Status" says "No Connection" meaning, everyone in the house can not get outside of our home network.

Router is connected via Ethernet. Cables cannot be swapped out since it is directly connected via ethernet that runs directly into the wall which heads down into our garage to the ONT.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like you need to contact support especially for #2.

I think you can try to plug a computer in place of your router. (I think you need to release WAN IP from router first)

Let it go and see if it ever drops DHCP or link.
That would tell you if it is rotuer.

Could be a cable issue at that point.

Could try another cable to ONT if you can move router closer to ONT to use a temporary cable.

0 Likes
Maywum
Enthusiast - Level 2

Issue #2 hasn't happened enough and it could be a one time thing. Issue #1 is what happens on an hourly basis.

However, I have given up on the Quantum Router knowing that its a firmware/hardware issue seeing that the forums are filled with problems that it has. This is a big issue and I was hoping Verizon would take notice to this. It seems the issue happens when there is a high volume of streaming content (ie Youtube, Twitch, Xbox Live, Online Gaming) and it will drop the connection. However, this could be random as I've seen it happen while I was just watching YouTube randomly.

After ordering the FiOS Advanced Router 3 days ago to troubleshoot. Set it up last night and I haven't had an issue yet. So... through the power of technical troubleshooting. The problem is with the Quantum router. Fix it verizon. I won't be switching back until its fixed.

0 Likes