New Quantum Router Question (DHCP Active Connections)
Silverbuell2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Folks

I'm considering purchasing and upgrading to the new dual band Quantum G1100  Router Verizon is advertising, and I would like to know if they have removed the limit on active DHCP connections that is in place in the previous routers ?

Thanks

Tim in Fairfax, VA

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New Quantum Router Question (DHCP Active Connections)
Silverbuell2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to all for your explanations.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

What limit?

I've never run into a limit on the Actiontec or the Quantum.  I've got around 30 or so devices connected.

Of course, being a class C network, there is a limit of 254 device IP addresses (including the router) on the LAN.  If that's the limit  you're asking about, then that's a network configuration issue not a router issue.

Enjoy.

Silverbuell2
Enthusiast - Level 2

On  both my 1st and 2nd generation Verizon MI424 routers I was limited to  8 active connections/devices.  It will assign the IP/s up to 254 , but would not allow them to connect to the internet once the 8 devices were connected. What is interesting is that it also limited the number of COAX connections to 8, as confirmed by Verizon Tech Support.

As you stated, the DHCP Service on the routers will assign up to 254 IP address's including the router, but the router firmware limited active connections to a maximum of 8 on coax , and 8 on ethernet.  I add a second router (Dual band) to support my families numerious wireless devices.

Thanks

Tim

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The router can only hand out 7 IPs on the coax without a NIM for the STBs only on the early routers and 1 IP for the router. Now with the REV I  and the black Arris STBs it can hand out 15 IPs for the STBs and 1 IP for the router. It has nothing to do with DHCP for the computers. I have more than 15 devices connected to my router with no problem.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Telcoguru wrote:

The router can only hand out 7 IPs on the coax without a NIM for the STBs only on the early routers and 1 IP for the router. Now with the REV I  and the black Arris STBs it can hand out 15 IPs for the STBs and 1 IP for the router. It has nothing to do with DHCP for the computers. I have more than 15 devices connected to my router with no problem.

You're confusing MOCA addressing with IP addressing.  MOCA addresses are limited to 8 for MOCA 1.0 and 16 for MOCA 1.1.
That has NOTHING to do with IP addressing.  MOCA operates at layer 1 and layer 2, not at layer 3.  IP addressing is at leyer 3.

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@Telcoguru wrote:

You're confusing MOCA addressing with IP addressing.  MOCA addresses are limited to 8 for MOCA 1.0 and 16 for MOCA 1.1.
That has NOTHING to do with IP addressing.  MOCA operates at layer 1 and layer 2, not at layer 3.  IP addressing is at leyer 3.

I am not confusing Moca addressing. I said for the STBs which happens to be Moca. I said it has nothing to do with DHCP which is the router's IP addressing. I was replying to Silverbuell. I should have quoted him.

0 Likes
Silverbuell2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Folks

Thanks for taking time to provide more detailed explanation of what I was encountering.  I did hit the maximum of 8  STB/COAX devices which lead me to believe there was a limit imposed on activice ethernet devices. 

I've gone ahead and ordered the newer Quantam Dual Band modem and it will be interesting to see how its performance compares to my Actiontec MIw424 v2 in actual use.

Thanks

TIm in Fairfax

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Telcoguru wrote:

The router can only hand out 7 IPs on the coax

That statement is incorrent.  There is no such limit in the router.  You are ignoring the fact that Cisco STBs require two IP addresses per STB / MOCA address.  Also a MI424-WR or NIM-100 with a switch can have any number of IP devices behind a single MOCA address.  The limit you are referring to is the llimit of the number of MOCA devices on a MOCA channel, which has nothing to do with IP addressing.

0 Likes
Silverbuell2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to all for your explanations.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@Telcoguru wrote:

The router can only hand out 7 IPs on the coax

That statement is incorrent.  There is no such limit in the router.  You are ignoring the fact that Cisco STBs require two IP addresses per STB / MOCA address.  Also a MI424-WR or NIM-100 with a switch can have any number of IP devices behind a single MOCA address.  The limit you are referring to is the llimit of the number of MOCA devices on a MOCA channel, which has nothing to do with IP addressing.

If you are going to quote me than quote my whole sentence and not part of it.. I said and I quote "The router can only hand out 7 IPs on the coax without a NIM for the STBs only on the early routers and 1 IP for the router".

0 Likes