Re: New Quantum router slow
DAWg134
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Quantum router just plain sucks for WiFi. I purchased mine when I upgraded to 75/75 Mbps service, but the performance via WiFi remained exactly the same as before at 35 Mbps.

This is where it gets interesting - I connected an Apple Airport Extreme 3TB router to the Quantum's ethernet output... which also has WiFi capability. Guess what? If I connect to my network via the Apple Airport Extreme, I get nearly 80 Mbps download/75 Mbps upload per both Verizon's tool and SpeedTest.net. If I use a hardwire connection from my laptop to the Quantum's Ethernet connection, I get the same 75/80 performance.

Bottom line: The Quantum's modem function works just fine, allowing a 75/75 Ethernet network, but don't expect more than 35 Mbps if you're going to use it for WiFi. I keep hoping that someone will find a solution to the Quantum's performance issues and offer a firmware update or a settings change, but it's been months since and all I ever see are posts complaining about them.

My recommendation... buy an Apple Airport Extreme for $300 and use that for your wireless (and data storage) needs, but hang onto your Quantum router because you may not otherwise get a 75/75 modem with the old equipment.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are many factors that affect speed over wifi.

Do you get the same connect speed to the FIOS router that you get to your Airport?

If not, that could be the issue.

Do you have both the 2.5 and 5GHz networks configured?

I have 50/50 and just ran a WIFI test with my Android phone.

I got 50/50.

0 Likes
Dadoug1

I can agree with everyone here. When I had the old red/black router i would get 85/80 with 5ms latency

I upgraded to quantum cause it sounded good. the tech came out because first quantum router would not work the most i could get was a blinking light but it would not conect to verizon so customer service sent a tech out that got it to conect and i showed him the slow speeds i told him the old router did 85/80 so he hooked it up and confirmed i was correct. so he goes out to the van and gets aother router, same deal 80 to 85 down upload then and still after all this time is between 1mbps to 35 once after unplugging router for few minutes i got 84 up then it went back down to around 9mbps. I am subscribed to 75/75  I do a lot of gaming and i think it if affecting my conectivity and stuff.

I hope verizon gets its stuff together I am near Tampa florida

Doug

0 Likes