New RAX45 router not detecting internet
RosbergF1

I'm upgrading our Netgear R6700 router with a Netgear RAX45 model. We have the 100/100 package. We have the Ethernet connection into our location (NOT coaxial) and have static IPs for our account.

We went from the Verizon provided router to the R6700 back in 2015. I copied / pasted most of the necessary settings and it worked. Fast forward to today. When I copy the same settings (manual entry) from the R6700 to the RAX45 it just flat out keeps saying it cannot connect to the internet and that I need to plug a LAN cable in.

Yes, the main cable that connects from the ONT to the router is indeed plugged in the yellow port labeled "internet". I'm manually entering the the following information exactly how it reads in the current router: IP address, subnet mask, gateway IP, and two DNS servers (I use Cloudflare and Google as primary and secondary). The MAC address was set to default on the current one and new one. 

Some alternatives I have tried include using another static IP (Fios gives you a lot of five consecutive addresses). I've tried Verizon's DNS. DHCP release should not apply here because a) I am using a static IP and b) there is no option on my Netgear to release this. Even when I do the Netgear wizard the very first thing it tries to do is detect internet and it can't even do that.

What steps am I missing to get internet on the new router here? Is this something I have to call Verizon to recognize the new router? Or would this be a Netgear issue or hardware problem? I've dealt with Netgear CS before, and they were not helpful. 

0 Likes
Re: New RAX45 router not detecting internet
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you sure you are using the correct gateway IP? Sometimes it gets updated and you need to change it after rebooting or using a different router.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums!  You're talking to other users here.

A typical Verizon residential account supports a single dynamically assigned IP address.  Business accounts can have static IP addresses.  What kind of account do you have?

It is probably worth trying a standard DHCP assignment without any DNS settings.  If it works, that tells you your account is setup like a typical residential account.  If that's not what you're paying for, you'll need to contact Verizon.  If it does work and you are on a residential account; problem solved.  You set your local DNS settings after you confirm it's working.

I'm don't know for sure if Verizon binds MAC addresses to IP addresses for business accounts.  If they do, you would need to contact them to switch devices.  You might get some other posters here who know; but business accounts aren't that frequent among the users here.

If you contact Verizon, use their social media support team.  Tweet @verizonsupport or post over in https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.  Both methods go the same team.  Pick based on if you prefer to tweet or post.

RosbergF1

I'm 100% certain I am typing in the exact gateway IP address from the R6700 into the RAX45. I triple checked that and took screenshots of the R6700 settings as a backup in case I forgot something.

When I went from the Verizon router to the R6700 a few years ago I did the exact same gateway IP and had zero issues getting it operational. I still have a screenshot of those settings as well. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you did several years ago doesn't matter.  What matters is the current state and how to fix it.

Do you have a business or residential account?  Are you paying for static IP addresses?

Can you try DHCP to check how Verizon has provisioned your account?

RosbergF1

We have a business account and pay extra for the five static IP addresses. 

Yes, I did try the auto detect IP address option because I had few options left. It did not work. Netgear had a "wizard" setup upon first boot of the router. I reset the router and tried to do the wizard. The very first thing it attempted was to detect internet. It completely stopped at this very first step saying I needed to plug in the ethernet cable.

Yes, I am 100% confident the ethernet cable from the ONT is plugged into the "internet" port as stated in my first post. No, it is NOT plugged into LAN ports 1 thru 4. I am aware those four ports are for local devices like a PC, NAS, and other hardwired devices.

Regarding the MAC address, I do not remember specifically having to call them about the MAC address. I did keep a screenshot of the MAC address for the original Verizon router. It was different from the R6700. I remember that going from the Verizon router to my current R6700 router worked with no issues. My assumption is that the MAC address may not matter, but I'm not counting it out.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you just set it up without using the wizard? Sometimes, the configuration steps are not exactly accurate. Detect internet? How does it detect internet without a routable IP address? Does it detect the layer 2 data link? Is the port LEDs on the ONT light up?

RosbergF1

Business account. Per original post, we pay for static IP addresses. 

Another user just asked and I just replied. Short story is attempting the auto detect IP setup with no luck. I also ran Netgear's wizard setup. It will first attempt to detect internet. It then stops and tells me that it cannot detect  a connection and to plug in my ethernet port. Yes, it's plugged in and to the correct port on the back of the new router.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks - that helps.  Since you have a business account and pay for the static IP addresses, can you check with Verizon to confirm your assignments?  Is there a dashboard on their website that has your settings?  It never hurts to double check to make sure what you think is correct is actually correct.

If you confirm the settings you're putting in the router match the information Verizon provides you, then it's probably time to contact Verizon support.  You can do that in parallel with the discussion here.  Use the social media team for best results, unless business customers have another support option that I'm not aware of.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a layer 2 problem. You know, cannot detect Internet and cannot detect connection are two separate issues. Is the ONT data linked with the router? Is the port LED on the ONT light up?