Re: New RAX45 router not detecting internet
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

gs0b, I am trying to confirm the data link before advising the OP to contact support.

RosbergF1

I set up the router manually since I have to enter the static IP info. I did that first. 

The internet light is either not lit or solid lit. It has not once been lit and blink to indicate any traffic. The weird thing is that the ONT ethernet cable wouldn't be plugged in and it still shows as lit. No, it's not in any AP mode or connected in another fashion. 

Whatever this Netgear model is doing, it seems to just want to try and get a connection first thing before I can enter any information. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

That behavior is unexpected on an ONT. Can you reboot theONT and try again?

RosbergF1

I have the five IP addresses we were assigned. Just to be sure, I did try a second of the five IPs assigned to us. (I reset the router and then entered the second one). For the sake of this conversation, second IP = one of the other five we have that is currently NOT in use by another device. 

I'll take your advice and see about contacting Verizon. Any time I've had to call I just use the number listed under the business info of their website. 

0 Likes
RosbergF1

The internet light on the new router is not consistent with what I am expecting as shown on the current router. 

The ONT ethernet cable could be plugged in for 10 minutes and no light comes on.  At some point the light did come on and stayed solid lit. In between unplugging the ONT cable and rebooting the router the internet light would stay lit despite no cables plugged in. Yes, I am 100% sure I am looking at the internet activity light and not something else like the 2.4 / 5Ghz connections or the power light. I am also 100% positive at no time is the new router connected to the current router by wired or wireless connection. In short, I don't know why it's showing these inconsistencies other than I am reporting what I have seen. 

For accessing the router's settings and configuration I have been plugged directly into one of the LAN ports and accessing it thru Netgear's direct router website (that routerlogin.net site). It shows my activity and data going back and forth as I was working on it. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think you have no data link between the ONT and the router. So, the IP address is not relevant to the conversation yet. I need to make sure the ONT is indeed connected with the router, not just with an ethernet cable (this indicates that you have a layer 1 connection), but also data-linked through 802.3ab (this is a layer 2 link). IP address is a concern for the layer 3 connection. But the layer 3 is irrelevant until you have all the lower OSI layers established.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you directly connect the ONT to a computer without IP setting? I want to help you confirm that the ONT is capable of establishing a layer 2 link.

Can you check the logs of your Netgear router? I know Cisco routers logs all interface activities and even differentiates disconnection between layer 2 and 3.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you find out the logs of the router and may be paste the redacted version here?

Logs are very handy in troubleshooting if the firmware logs all kinds of abnormalities.