New Router does not work
FredZiffle1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have tried the new router that i received free. I am back on the old one. The Actiontec MI424WR does not work, i switched the cables from my old router, turned on the new one and repeatedly get orange internet light. Powered off/on multiple times, reset multiple times, still no Inet. Put cables back on old router, Inet back on. No wonder the new ones are fre, they don't work.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New Router does not work
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The new router is most likely fine.  If you did not explicitly login to the old router and tell it to release it's WAN IP address, the system won't give a new IP address to the new router when you plug it in.  When an Actiontec doesn't get a WAN IP address, it turns the Internet light orange.

To get  your new router to work you have three options:

1) Login to the old router and release the WAN IP address.  Unplug it right away so it doesn't pull another IP address.

2) Unplug the old router.  Wait two hours for the WAN IP address to expire in Verizon's system.

3) Unplug the old router.  Call or chat with Verizon and have them manually clear the old IP address out of the system.

Once you've done one (and only one) of these things, plug in the new router.  It should work fine.

If you need help with step 1, post back here with the model of your old router or check out the posts and faqs on dslreports.com.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The new router is most likely fine.  If you did not explicitly login to the old router and tell it to release it's WAN IP address, the system won't give a new IP address to the new router when you plug it in.  When an Actiontec doesn't get a WAN IP address, it turns the Internet light orange.

To get  your new router to work you have three options:

1) Login to the old router and release the WAN IP address.  Unplug it right away so it doesn't pull another IP address.

2) Unplug the old router.  Wait two hours for the WAN IP address to expire in Verizon's system.

3) Unplug the old router.  Call or chat with Verizon and have them manually clear the old IP address out of the system.

Once you've done one (and only one) of these things, plug in the new router.  It should work fine.

If you need help with step 1, post back here with the model of your old router or check out the posts and faqs on dslreports.com.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
FredZiffle1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you, but I would think the reset button should take care of aquiring a valid address. I am leaving the old one on...

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FredZiffle wrote:

Thank you, but I would think the reset button should take care of aquiring a valid address. I am leaving the old one on...

You may well think that but you would be totally wrong.  The router reset button will reset everything on the router but will NOT release the already acquired IP address.

gs0b is correct.  Your problem is that you are trying to use the same ip address with a new device with a different MAC address.  Do what he says and it will resolve your problem immediately.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@FredZiffle wrote:

The reset button does not cause the router to release the WAN IP address.  You need to use one of the three methods I provided.

An orange light on an Actiontec is most often caused by failure to get a WAN IP address.

Your new router is most likely working fine.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
ljnb

My new Actiontec MI424WR can't be found on my list of available networks.  I have released the old IP address by unplugging my old router overnight and plugging in my new one, didn't work.  After plugging in the old router again, I went back on the old router website and released it under Broadband Connection Settings, waited an hour and tried new one again, still not there. The old one still shows up on the list!  I even plugged the old one in again and in the BB Settings, it shows no IP address.  Any ideas?

0 Likes
dinopunk

I would like to reach out and shake your hand!  2 hours on the phone with Tech Support and THEY couldn't tell me I needed to release the IP Address of the old router!!  Just made my day!

Cheers!

0 Likes
kks123

Called Verizon and they cannot release the router from the system. What else can we do? They said that they are helpless. Should we create a new account?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes