Switch Account

New Router

SOLVED
Contributor
Contributor
Message 1 of 5
(297 Views)

I have 100/100 mbps plan with only Internet and phone and don't plan to get TV in the future. The current setup is ONT to MI424WR via Coax. I want to buy a new router as a replacement of the current verizon one that I have without needing to change from COAX to ethernet. Can I just grab a ethernet cable, and connect it from the Verizon router's LAN ports to the New routers WAN ports, and disable WIFI on the Verizon Router, making the Verizon router a moca adapter?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 2 of 5
(296 Views)

Yes. You can also just connect a wireless access point to the MI424WR. That will be cheaper than a router and won’t cause a double NAT. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 3 of 5
(268 Views)

Ok Thanks!

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 4 of 5
(266 Views)

Do I need to do anything such as renewing/releasing lease? Or a simple reboot would be fine?

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 5 of 5
(252 Views)

No. If connecting a wireless access point it will be plug and play. The Verizon router will give it an IP like any other device. If you connect a router you’ll typically have to download the app to set it up. Set it up in AP mode. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.