New Service Coming Monday, need info
denison4
Enthusiast - Level 2

I want the ONTS, battery, and power unit placed indoors in my utility room area instead of having the big ONTS on outside of house. What can the technician mount this to as a surface? The inside utility room is concrete block. I was planning on putting up a 1.5' x 3' plywood board for the equipment to be more easily mounted on the wall and not requiring any drilling into the concrete blocks. My idea is to use liquid nails to attach the board to the wall.

Is there any problem with the equipment being mounted to plywood or does it require a fireproof surface to be mounted on?

I'd like this installation to go smoothly and quickly as possible.  I don't want to mount the plywood backing board if it will be a hindrance to installation instead, requiring it's removal first.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New Service Coming Monday, need info
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@denison4 wrote:

I want the ONTS, battery, and power unit placed indoors in my utility room area instead of having the big ONTS on outside of house. What can the technician mount this to as a surface? The inside utility room is concrete block. I was planning on putting up a 1.5' x 3' plywood board for the equipment to be more easily mounted on the wall and not requiring any drilling into the concrete blocks. My idea is to use liquid nails to attach the board to the wall.

Is there any problem with the equipment being mounted to plywood or does it require a fireproof surface to be mounted on?

I'd like this installation to go smoothly and quickly as possible.  I don't want to mount the plywood backing board if it will be a hindrance to installation instead, requiring it's removal first.

the plywood should be fine. as for the ulitily room. Is the ultility room located near your electical panel (the circuit breakers)? If so there should not be an issue. The ONT must be located usually within 18 feet of the electrical panel of the home, depending on the local building codes in your area.

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@denison4 wrote:

the plywood should be fine. as for the ulitily room. Is the ultility room located near your electical panel (the circuit breakers)? If so there should not be an issue. The ONT must be located usually within 18 feet of the electrical panel of the home, depending on the local building codes in your area.

denison4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Electric service box is in the corner and this would be on the wall about 2 feet away. My worry was if it could be mounted to wood, or needed fireproof surface only.  Interesting code about mounting so close to electric box. Any reason?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

the fiber optic service requires electrical grounding due to the laser used to transmit the data. Some states (NY for example) have recently passed building codes requiring certain levels of perminate electical devices to be grounded for safety. Not all states have the law but because more and more are, Verizon is erring on the side of caution and installing these to meet current laws or possible future laws to prevent problems in the future.

The wood should be fine. Mine is mounted to exposed wooded studs and they didnt blink an eye at it so plywood should work.

Rut
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi denison4.  I see you mentioned the FiOS coming on "Monday", so I assume that day has come and went.  But just figured I would offer my two cents anyway. 

If you look in a lot of private or government business scopes of work for telecom closets, they often quote 3/4 inch fire-rated plywood as a requirement to mount telecommunications equipment to. 

What's the NEC say?  Or the TIA standards?  Honestly I don't know, because I have yet to buy the NEC book, and looking the crap up online is a pain.  But it's not to say you can't mount it on just about anything - heck Verizon will slap it up on most any surface (i.e. siding of varying materials), right?.  So I am not so sure you have to spend the extra bucks.  I think as long as you aren't mounting it to a dead pine tree, you should be good to go. 

Because I tend to over-think absolutely everything I do in life, and I am a safety freak, I did purchase 3/4 inch FR plywood and lined my closet with it prior to terminating my network and coax cables at that location.  Overkill?  Maybe, but I will sleep better at night.   

Just a thought. 

Hope it's working out well for you. 

r/

rusty

denison4
Enthusiast - Level 2

They did it in about 4 hours and all works well. No problems mounting on the 2x2 plywood. Probably could have done with a smaller vertical 1.5' x 2' piece instead.

So far everything works fine, all 3 services.  The device they mounted was two boxes. One has all the connectors for TV coax, fiber cable, phone cords into it. Right on top of it the other box contains power control, lead acid battery, and the power transformer/charger unit, a [i]3in1[/i] setup. Very neat, very professional and thankfully not mounted on the front corner of my house, where my neighbor had his mounted.  It's definitely not an unobtrusive size box for the ONT, so inside mounting was preferred, at least to me.  I tried dialup service to Juno for emergency backup internet, and that worked OK through the fiber optic system too, so I will have that during any winter electrical power outage use with a laptop if necessary, till the ONT battery runs out or main electrical power is restored.  The Verizon modem-router is nice, but not as user friendly as my old Linksys WRT54G. It would have been better if they'd included a help file directly into the modem-router device.  It has some extra capabilities than the Linksys and the Main page presentation is better.  My main complaint on that beside missing a help file would be some things that seem more important are in sub sub category areas, since you have to drill down into the "Advanced" areas to find them.  Forcing an IP change from Verizon is a little more difficult than was using Linksys on Comcast. That's a good move when assigned a new IP lease which turns out to be blocked at some site visited.  It also helped on Comcast if they "throttled" your IP address for bandwidth use.  Phone service is better, the "buzz" from the POTS (PNTS) is gone.  Very nice universal remote that  codes easy for oldeer equipment  such as separate VCR and DVD players. I'm pleased with the new service.   http://www.glenburniemd.net/VerizonFIOSboxes.jpg

0 Likes