Re: New battery backup needed
jonjones1
Legend

Glad it all worked out. I don’t use Verizon phone but another VoIP service call voipo 

just plug it in to the supplied VoIP adapter, that plugs into your routers available LAN port. Wait a few minutes and it’s good to go. You use your own phones, be they corded or cordless and I went out to Best Buy and bought APC brand power units. They can be expensive but last for hours and you don’t lose phone, internet, tv etc. if plugged into the APC 

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

Power Reserves are awesome because they can be turned on or off, they don't BEEEEEEEEP (lol), and they actually last longer than the BBUs do (20 hours vs 8 hours).

But if I remember correctly, a technician has to come out to convert your system from a BBU to a Power Reserve.

newmes
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't believe the battery backup type can be converted from one to the other

You have to change the whole system The outside box and the inside box

If you just change it because you want to and not because something is wrong with the other system than it's probably not going to be free

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Actually it may be possible to swap them out. It is only a power line to and from the ONT. and is only needed for phone service. Verizon can also swap out the ONT if they desire. 

0 Likes
newmes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sure is possible if you are doing it yourself or maybe hire someone

I doubt Verizon is going to do a hack job and cut off the plug that comes with the Power reserve and crimp on some pins and plug it into a connector so that it can be adapted to the older system or just splice it to the other wires from the 12V battery

Also I am not sure if it's the same voltage

I counted 12 d cell batteries in the Power reserve so that would be 18 volts while the regular BBU is 12 volts Maybe it still works with a higher voltage

I don'r know but who would want to find out  and who is going to fix it if it doesn't ?

Why would Verizon "desire" to swap out the ONT ?

They have nothing better to do than to go around to every house and swap out the  ONT boxes needlesly at their expense ? I don't think so

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

The power pack runs the batteries in a series-parallel which runs it at 14.4v max, the transformer may do additional work to condition the power coming from it to 12v.

it is highly possible to replace the BBU with the Power Reserve in that case.

In my brother's neighborhood, when they came out to fix a pixilation issue they proactively changed his over to a Power Reserve. Didn't replace the ONT. 🙂

newmes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did you happen to see how the connector issue was resolved ?

Do they have some kind of adapter that would convert from one connector type to another ?

Did changing the battery backup type solve the pixalation issue ?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

No one said it would be a splice job.

the older type can be removed or disabled at the ont. They then take the power cable and replace it, and with the new power cable they just add on the power reserve.

hell electricians can install power couplers and other items and keep the original devices working. Why wouldn’t Verizon 

and an ont is a plastic box where the fiber is housed. That’s all. And it belongs to Verizon and they can replace them if they desire as needed. Not everyone at once.

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

The pixilation issue was because of a splitter that was getting an actual electrical charge (they shouldn't) and it was slowly being burnt.

In regards to the BBU to Power Reserve conversion, they use the same power connector on the end.

THe BBU can was partially removed (they left the case in but took out the battery from inside and removed the PSU from it) then ranONT side of the Power Adaptor through the BBU casing (why make a new whole in the wall?) and mounted it just below the case.

Then they mounted the battery cage below the Power Adaptor and conected it to the Power Adaptor, making sure the switch on the Battery cage was turned off.

jonjones1
Legend

Like I said it could be done.

People often times look at the larger complicated fix. The process to simply look at the path of least resistance is often best.

Yep it’s a component of the ONT, it can be removed, modified or upgraded.

Simple power cord connected to a power reserve unit which plugs into a wall power outlet. Not really that hard to do.

over at DSL Reports there was a thread on Verizon upgrading ont’s when customers upgrade speeds or when a customer asks the installer/techs and this also included changing over to power reserve units versus the old troublesome BBU.

Technology is great.

0 Likes