Re: New battery backup needed
newmes
Enthusiast - Level 3

What you are describing sounds different than what I imagined

I guess maybe there are more than one type of Power reserve or they use different types in different parts of the country

That's why I was questioning  the compatiblity of the 2 backup types

The BBU I had that was just the 12 v battery with push on quick disconnect terminals on  side of the battery side and a white 2 pin terminal on the other end that would plug into the white box in the basement It also had another smaller box I guess that was the transformer and one end of that plugged into the ac outlet and the other end plugged into this white box also

So the guy removed everything and replaced it with a smaller black box that has just a one plug that goes to the ac and he showed me where the Power reserve would plug in

This is just a small round female jack type port so obiously the 2 connectors are completely different

What is the power adapter used for doesn't the Power  reserve supply the power or is that for something else?

I guess I will find out how it looks in a couple of weeks when I receive it

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The power reserve is a branch of the power cable from the ont to the small black box with D cell batteries, with another connector cord to the wall outlet.

this unit can be turned on or off. I have mine off since I don’t have Verizon phone service.

However I have all my computer equipment plugged into APC Battery Back up since it keeps it all on for us when the power goes out. On two occasions we had internet service when other homes were dark. But you don’t need it unless you want to spend more money.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Power reserve has the same function as the older bbu.

It only provides backup power  for phone service.

My guess is that more people didn't care about phone backup as they have cell service so newer power supply have backup as an option. Plus it uses d cell batteries which are much cheaper than 12v battery previously used.

Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

They fail less and last longer.

newmes
Enthusiast - Level 3

You must have a different system than I do

I don't have any branches from the power cable

All I have is a female jack in the black box that is used for auxiliary power

Maybe yours is integrated somehow with the power cable

Mine is a separate unit that I beliece does not have any power connection since the  D cell batteries are not rechargeable It may or may not have a swirch on it but I don't see the point I can just as easily plug it in the jack or unplug it

The black box already has power so this power reserve is only for the phone when the power goes out

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

imageBBU vs Power Reserve

newmes
Enthusiast - Level 3

The drawing looks correct but I don't see how you can say that the BBU and the Power reserve have the same connector when they clearly are not

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe the reference was in the power supply connector to the ONT.

The two devices have similar function.

BBU had power and battery as one unit to power ONT.

Power adapter with power reserve are two devices with power reserve external.

Both have the same function to power ONT and provide backup power for phone services only.

newmes
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for clarifiying

The refernce of the connector to the ONT side was not clear to me

I thought the reference was to the connector on the battery and the Power reserve

0 Likes