New installation with cable under carpet
docwebb

Just had FIOS installed last week.   Very happy with internet speed and quality of television.  BUT my wife was home for the installation and the tech installed the cable from the box to the router under the carpet.   This is in my den on the first floor.  About a 10 foot  cable run with 3  feet under the carpet at a heavily trafficked door entrance....this cable will be walked on all the time and I am worried about the wear on the cable.  Doesn't look that great either, but it is a den and I can live with the looks.

I would have preferred running the cable up in the attic and then down or running the cable along the edge of the ceiling.

Is it standard practice for Verizon to install cable under the carpet?  If the cable wears out will they be responsible for replacing?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New installation with cable under carpet
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@docwebb wrote:

Just had FIOS installed last week.   Very happy with internet speed and quality of television.  BUT my wife was home for the installation and the tech installed the cable from the box to the router under the carpet.   This is in my den on the first floor.  About a 10 foot  cable run with 3  feet under the carpet at a heavily trafficked door entrance....this cable will be walked on all the time and I am worried about the wear on the cable.  Doesn't look that great either, but it is a den and I can live with the looks.

I would have preferred running the cable up in the attic and then down or running the cable along the edge of the ceiling.

Is it standard practice for Verizon to install cable under the carpet?  If the cable wears out will they be responsible for replacing?

Verizon will run the cable in a "visible" way. running under the carpet is very common. Most tech's will not run it via the attic (unless you have a finished attic) and they try to avoid any drilling through walls, floors, and celings whenever possible. they likely did not even consider running it up the wall and along the edge of the celing as most people would have a problem with that.

Your right to be concerned about it being under the carpet in a high traffic area. constant traffic pressure on the cable can evenutally break the copper wire in the cable leading to poor signal and picture problems on the tv. And no, they consider the wire on the inside of the house "yours" no matter if they installed it or someone else did. They will only warrenty the wire for 90 days after that, if it goes out you are responsible for the replacement. They will be happy to replace it for you but you will be billed for the material and labor to do it.

I would do one of two things, Either call the FSC and see about getting someone out to re-run the cable. OR Employ an electrician or other certified cable installer to run the cables in the walls (Verizon cannot do this). This is what I did. I had an electrician run coax and ethernet to each of my rooms in the wall. It was a bit of money out of pocket to do, but it kept the girlfriend happy, and if the girlfriend (or wife as the case may be) is happy, we are happy.

But if you are going to have Verizon do it, do it quickly as time is ticking.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

you actually have a 30 day warranty on your installation, call the Verizon FSC (Tech support for FiOS) and request they have a technician come out and re-route the coax cable for you.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@docwebb wrote:

Verizon will run the cable in a "visible" way. running under the carpet is very common. Most tech's will not run it via the attic (unless you have a finished attic) and they try to avoid any drilling through walls, floors, and celings whenever possible. they likely did not even consider running it up the wall and along the edge of the celing as most people would have a problem with that.

Your right to be concerned about it being under the carpet in a high traffic area. constant traffic pressure on the cable can evenutally break the copper wire in the cable leading to poor signal and picture problems on the tv. And no, they consider the wire on the inside of the house "yours" no matter if they installed it or someone else did. They will only warrenty the wire for 90 days after that, if it goes out you are responsible for the replacement. They will be happy to replace it for you but you will be billed for the material and labor to do it.

I would do one of two things, Either call the FSC and see about getting someone out to re-run the cable. OR Employ an electrician or other certified cable installer to run the cables in the walls (Verizon cannot do this). This is what I did. I had an electrician run coax and ethernet to each of my rooms in the wall. It was a bit of money out of pocket to do, but it kept the girlfriend happy, and if the girlfriend (or wife as the case may be) is happy, we are happy.

But if you are going to have Verizon do it, do it quickly as time is ticking.

0 Likes