New laptop won't connect to wifi
jdjacreally
Enthusiast - Level 2

All other devices and other laptop work fine, but new laptop says "Can't connect." Acer tech support said drivers are up to date and walked me through other troubleshooting. Said to contact Verizon. I can connect through an ethernet cable plugged directly into the router.  Ping  was successful, but just can't get on via wifi.

Help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New laptop won't connect to wifi
jdjacreally
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lo and behold! Verizon sent me a new router - same kind as I already had - and it worked!! Right out of the box. I didn't do anything different with the laptop, just switched out the router.  A week's worth of aggrevation solved!

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@jdjac wrote:

All other devices and other laptop work fine, but new laptop says "Can't connect." Acer tech support said drivers are up to date and walked me through other troubleshooting. Said to contact Verizon. I can connect through an ethernet cable plugged directly into the router.  Ping  was successful, but just can't get on via wifi.

Help!

First I would check to see that both 2.4 and 5 MHz bands are both active.

next make sure you are first trying to log in to the 2.4 band since although slower in comparison to the 5 band it reaches further and is more stable.

thirdly I would then use the tablet/laptop wifi icon to connect to either that may be available. Remember to use the correct wifi password that is on your router.

in some cases the wifi networks may need to be refreshed or in other cases just use the Forget Network button and then restart your laptop and then have the computer look for your wifi SSID on your network.

it should find it and then it's a simple process to just click on connect and enter the wifi password and click the connect automatically button.

jdjacreally
Enthusiast - Level 2

"First I would check to see that both 2.4 and 5 MHz bands are both active.

next make sure you are first trying to log in to the 2.4 band since although slower in comparison to the 5 band it reaches further and is more stable."

How do I check this? Sorry if that's stupid.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you pull up WiFi, do you see your network?

Do you get any other error or just can't connect?

Do you have any other devices that can connect to WiFi?

jonjones1
Legend

@jdjac wrote:

"First I would check to see that both 2.4 and 5 MHz bands are both active.

next make sure you are first trying to log in to the 2.4 band since although slower in comparison to the 5 band it reaches further and is more stable."

How do I check this? Sorry if that's stupid.

Not stupid at all. In wifi networks the norm is something like this. (Example Only)

fios_2.4.  

fios_5.

however unless you changed the name in your router the Fios wifi name is printed on a label on your router or can be viewed after you access it.

it is necessary to have a network name that you recognize. That is why I always use my own wifi network name. I changed mine to say TheGreatOne2.4 and TheGreatOne5

you can use any name or combination of names or symbols or numbers just remember what you changed it to.

in addition if you have a set password set by the router manufacturer it's best to change the password to a better one that you can remember.  

jdjacreally
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I can see the network. (Top of the list. Full strength. I'm in the same room with the router.)

It just says "Can't connect to the network."

All other devices have no trouble connecting to wifi - other laptop, phones, tv.

0 Likes
jdjacreally
Enthusiast - Level 2

Never changed the name and it is U5UHW1. ???

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@jdjac wrote:

OK now that you are seeing it, when you click on it and say connect it should come up with a box asking for a password. I see by your other post it comes back with an error of "Cannot connect to network". This normally means an incorrect password.

You must remove the network from your wifi list. On the laptop there should be a remove or forget this network.

You then restart the laptop. then go into the wifi networks again and when you see it just click on it again.

Now you must put in the correct network wifi password. If correct select the connect automatically radio button and it should then connect as it should.

If this is the correct password and you check on connect automatically then you will not have this issue again.

jonjones1
Legend

@jdjac wrote:

as a last resort if you have not done this. I am sure if you already spoke to tech support they may have already done this. (This is not something a novice should attempt. Use caution.

Try re-installing the driver.

Go to Device Manager (through Control Panel)
Click Network Adapters
Right Click the Ethernet, Network and WiFi Drivers, and select Uninstall.
DO NOT click the box that says "Delete all info..." leave it unchecked.
Wait a moment.
Click up the top and "Search for Plug and Play/New Hardware" and it will reinstall the Drivers.
Should hopefully fix the problem.

If you see any of the drivers with Yellow Triangles they need reinstalling, if this doesn't work, you then need to use another PC, go to the manufacturers website, and download the drivers from there. If this is the case with the network driver then do it on another PC and pop it on a flash driver.  (Thumb Drive)
Once you've got the driver, uninstall and check "Delete all info". Then run the setup.exe you downloaded in the driver folder and it will reinstall a new non-corrupted driver.

jdjacreally
Enthusiast - Level 2

No yellow triangles and I've already tried unistalling and reinstalling the drivers anyway. No new updates were found either.  The drivers are already the same as what is shown on the Acer website.

0 Likes