Re: New laptop won't connect to wifi
jdjacreally
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I've actually typed the wrong password, I got an "Incorrect Security Key" message. Also, it only lets me "Forget" networks it has already connected to. I was able to connect to a nearby open network and the "Forget" tab showed up for that one. No "Forget"  button for my network and I assume it is because I've never been able to connect.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@jdjac wrote:

When I've actually typed the wrong password, I got an "Incorrect Security Key" message. Also, it only lets me "Forget" networks it has already connected to. I was able to connect to a nearby open network and the "Forget" tab showed up for that one. No "Forget"  button for my network and I assume it is because I've never been able to connect.

In seeing you have attempted to connect with the acer I can only suggest either have Acer look at it to see if the wifi card is faulty and should be replaced or you can either purchase a wifi dogle I would purchase a new AC version and plug that into your laptop and then see if it sees your network and connects as it should.

or borrow one from a friend or colleague and test it out. If it connects you know it's a bad wifi card in the laptop, if it doesn't you then know it's a router issue with the wifi.

sometimes a router firmware update corrects the issue. But if the router is broadcasting correctly and other devices can connect then the purchase of a AC wifi adapter would be the next step.

i put a new Netgear wifi dogle on my wife's computer since she had an old "n" version. With the new Fios she now gets faster wifi speeds.

jdjacreally
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lo and behold! Verizon sent me a new router - same kind as I already had - and it worked!! Right out of the box. I didn't do anything different with the laptop, just switched out the router.  A week's worth of aggrevation solved!

jonjones1
Legend

@jdjacreally wrote:

Lo and behold! Verizon sent me a new router - same kind as I already had - and it worked!! Right out of the box. I didn't do anything different with the laptop, just switched out the router.  A week's worth of aggrevation solved!

Great it is fixed. 

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes