New router question
Casper2433
I have a question regarding installing my netgear N900 router to my Fios modem. II live in an apartment complex so in my unit I have a modem and the Actiontec MI424WR router in the closet.

I have read a lot of instructions for installing a third party router for fios users who just have a coax cable and no modem. Do I still need to follow the steps in these instructions to make the Actiontec a bridge or whatever, or can I just unplug the Actiontec router and just install my netgear N900 like normal?

Modem: Zyxel prestige 861h-g1 VDSL
Router: Actiontec MI424WR

Thank you!
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New router question
Hubrisnxs
Legend

First, determine how you are getting data to the Actiontec. Look at the indicator lights on the front panel. Coax WAN or Ethernet WAN will be lit. That's your data source. 

You want it to be on ethernet so that you can change it to any router you want.  

Once it's on ethernet Release the DHCP lease, then power off the Actiontec. Plug one end of the cat5 cable into the RJ45 jack on the Zyxel, and the other end into the WAN ethernet or "internet" port of your new router. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

If you do not have TV service, you will not need the Actiontec. If you have TV service you will still need to have the Actiontec to provide a MOCA connection to your TV's STBs. More configuration Information. Remember Verizon will not provide trouble shooting support if their router is not connected.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

0 Likes
Casper2433
It is just Internet, no TV service. So I can just unplug the Actiontec and install the new router? I dont have to go into the settings and turn the Actiontec into a bridge or whatever?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

First, determine how you are getting data to the Actiontec. Look at the indicator lights on the front panel. Coax WAN or Ethernet WAN will be lit. That's your data source. 

You want it to be on ethernet so that you can change it to any router you want.  

Once it's on ethernet Release the DHCP lease, then power off the Actiontec. Plug one end of the cat5 cable into the RJ45 jack on the Zyxel, and the other end into the WAN ethernet or "internet" port of your new router. 

0 Likes
Casper2433
Awesome! Thank you very much! I will get right to work on this. 🙂
0 Likes