New service, Question about how the ONT is connected to the Router
loded
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just signed up for FIOS Gigabit this past week, it was installed last Friday. After a few days of technical issues everything is up and running. 

My question is how the ONT is connected to the Verizon Router, I can't seem to find an answer by searching. My ONT model number is I-211m-L and I have the FIOS Quantum Gateway. 

The ONT is currently connected to the Router by both Coaxial cable and Ethernet cable, and I am unsure as to why. Are both the Coax and Ethernet feeding the Router signal? Can i remove the Coax and just use ethernet from the ONT to the router?

In the future I may add a network extender which requires Coax for MOCA, I understand that. How will the ONT and router be wired in this scenario?

Just trying to clear up some confusion so I can move the router to another area without causing issue.

Thanks.

Brad

0 Likes
Re: New service, Question about how the ONT is connected to the Router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Coax is used for TV service from ONT to STBs.

Router also needs to connect to Coax to feed Internet access to STBs for Guide and VOD.

Internet comes from ONT to Router via Ethernet.

loded
Enthusiast - Level 1

I failed to mention I am internet only.

Therefore is the coaxial necessary right now? I know it will be once I decide to get a network extender. And once I get one of these how is the wiring setup?

Also does the router supply Moca to the network extender, or does the ONT?

Again, I want more flexibilty in where I move the router, and right now I have both Coax and Ethernet going from the ONT to the Router. So, is the Coax necessary, without a STB, and without a network extender, does it actually matter?

Brad

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

For Internet only, you can use ethernet only. Can't say for sure how you are configured.

Try logging into router to see which one has Internet IP address.

If you have a WiFi extender, it is driven by router via Coax.

loded
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok gotcha. I'll log into it later and look around. I think I got what I needed with you saying the Extender is driven by the router using coax.  Thanks.

0 Likes
loded
Enthusiast - Level 1

So for what it's worth to anyone reading this, here's how I was wired when the tech left my house. 

Fiber came into house to ONT.

ONT connected to router through ethernet.

ONT also connected to Router through splitter Coax. Other split was intended on going to Extender.

Not sure why both Coax and Ethernet were connected or why he left it this way. 

Now the ONT is connected to Router via Ethernet, and the Coax is running from the Router to the plug on the wall to the coax plug upstairs. Extender is plugged into this port. Extender works as it should.

I should have just tested it from the start. May this come to use by someone out there hopefully.

Cheers!

Brad

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably did it so you are ready if/when you would want to add TV service.

Also, that is probably their default config.

therealduke

So if you were to use the ONT for TV and internet what is the correct method for connection? 

Does the ONT connect to a splitter "in" with one coax out going to the router along with the cat5 wire. Then the other coax out goes to the set top box or to more splitters to send segnals to multyiple STBs

If correct and In this case, is the coax to the modum/router handling two way traffic?

Thanks

Duke

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@therealduke wrote:

So if you were to use the ONT for TV and internet what is the correct method for connection? 

Does the ONT connect to a splitter "in" with one coax out going to the router along with the cat5 wire. Then the other coax out goes to the set top box or to more splitters to send segnals to multyiple STBs

If correct and In this case, is the coax to the modum/router handling two way traffic?

Thanks

Duke

Yes. Ont to splitter in outs to STB and router. MoCA traffic is 2 way through coax from router. 

0 Likes