New wiring.. (I am sure it has been answered before)
nicastro42

Moving into a new place (Mobile home) I have always had comcast. New to Fios. 

Let me see if I have the wiring plan correct.

Verizon will bring its fios line directly into my home into what we will call a "Termination panel"  From that panel I will need to run "Home run" coax cable to each TV location in the home. Will I also need to run Cat5 to each TV location? Should I?

I don't want to use Verizons router. I want to use my Apple airport extreme router. Can they run a Cat5 from the termination panel directly to my router or do I need something in between?

I hope I have made my questions simple enough

Thanks in advance...

0 Likes
Re: New wiring.. (I am sure it has been answered before)
prisaz
Legend

Verizon will install an ONT Optical Network Terminal. From there they will run coax to the Verizon supplied router, which is needed to support the TV service. You would only need to run CAT5 to the TVs if you wanted a nework connection at that location from the router to the TV. All Verizon STBs receive their internet from the coax to the router connected to the ONT.

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSTV/Equipment/

Now there are multiple ways to also use your router in conjuntion with the FiOS router.

0 Likes
nicastro42

Multiple ways? Please clarify?

I want my Airport extreme to be broadcasting wireless in my home. Is there a way to disable wireless on the verizon router just making it a switch in a sense?  Their router is required for TV reasons I assume. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Yes you can just login to their router and turn off wireless. I have done that with mine. I just have a wireless access point plugged into their router of sorts.

Actually I am running an Actionetc supplied by Verizon, a netgear router to isolate my home entertainment systems, a Linux box as another router proxy filtering firewall, and the access point is connected to a 16 port switch on the inside of my Linux firewall. Yes and elaborate setup. Three routers. two of which connect to the Verizon router. They're really unlimited types of configurations. But Verizon will only support their hardware.

Anyway I enjoy my FiOS.

0 Likes