Next-door neighbor can get Fios, but I ... cannot
FarmToTech

There are older posts on the same topic, but I see no resolution.  I would like to get 1 Gbps service and my neighbor can get it, but I cannot.  I wanted to know if I can pay an installation fee (the houses are not far apart) or sign a two-year contract or .... get neighbors down the street to do the same thing.  Our current cable internet provider goes out for days at a time and I know that several people in my neighborhood would like to switch.  We'd be willing to pay.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Next-door neighbor can get Fios, but I ... cannot
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If neighbors on all sides of you can get FiOS, this is likely a database issue. You'll need a FAST Ticket put in. You can submit the request by DMing Verizon on social media or by using the Verizon Direct forum at DSLReports, which another poster provided.

The other issue could be that you're on the unfortunate cutoff of where FiOS service actually stops. There are plenty of areas like this where one neighbor can get FiOS, and another cannot, as they're in different towns, are served from different wire centers, or just flat out got forgotten about prior to FiOS's aggressive expansion phase getting killed in 2010.

If you don't get anywhere with a FAST ticket and you're sure FiOS is available to neighbors on both sides of you... order a POTS line. In FiOS areas, Verizon will not install copper, and this will force the Verizon tech who comes to do your phone install to see that, and get some action on fixing the FiOS database.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other users here.  If you want to talk to Verizon, you need to call or chat with them.

They also have a social media support team available by tweeting @Verizonsupport or posting in https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.  Both methods connect you to the exact same team of Verizon people.  They will invite you to a private chat to collect your personal information.

I've never heard of Verizon taking money to install FiOS where it isn't available.  They either offer it, or they don't.  If you live in an area where FiOS is still being built out, you will be able to get it when they finish their work.  They don't announce when work will happen, only when it is done.  If you live just over the border of a FiOS service area, you won't be able to get it.

Another possibility is an error in their engineering database.  You can ask them to investigate by contacting the social media support team and requesting a "FAST" ticket.  If this is the case, you'll be able to get FiOS much faster then any of the other options.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I just have a either very improbable or very expensive solution for you and your other neighbors who want FiOS gigabit.

This is pure speculation here.

You can ask the neighbor who has FiOS to upgrade the service to multigigabit business connection. Then from that neighbor's ONT, wire a CAT 7 cable to a layer 3 switch (expensive) with fiber SFP ports. Then from there, each of you who wants FiOS can get a SFP WAN router (for instance Cisco RV260, $170~) to receive the fiber SFP connection. So each of you get 1000Mbps.

Of course, you need to pull fiber wires across the street and houses, which need permission from the town and other property owners. Of course, you need trust between each other too.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If neighbors on all sides of you can get FiOS, this is likely a database issue. You'll need a FAST Ticket put in. You can submit the request by DMing Verizon on social media or by using the Verizon Direct forum at DSLReports, which another poster provided.

The other issue could be that you're on the unfortunate cutoff of where FiOS service actually stops. There are plenty of areas like this where one neighbor can get FiOS, and another cannot, as they're in different towns, are served from different wire centers, or just flat out got forgotten about prior to FiOS's aggressive expansion phase getting killed in 2010.

If you don't get anywhere with a FAST ticket and you're sure FiOS is available to neighbors on both sides of you... order a POTS line. In FiOS areas, Verizon will not install copper, and this will force the Verizon tech who comes to do your phone install to see that, and get some action on fixing the FiOS database.