Re: Nightly disconnection issues
Glaice
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did removal and manual updating of the driver with no luck, and am at my wit's end from raging. I really do not know what to do now to fix this other than using the spare NIC in the computer..

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

SInce you have a spare NIC, try it and see if the problem goes away.  If it does, it's pretty clear that either the first NIC or the drivers for it are the problem.

0 Likes
Glaice
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was about to do that this morning (1:15am) but found out my video card's fan is obstructing the spare PCI slot..denying me from  doing so. The other PCI slot has a sound card placed in it so I think that option I pretty much can't do. 😞

It might have to do with LAN lease or drivers after browsing around and asking other people, even though Verizon Tech #2 believed it was a DHCP issue (originally I had my computer plugged into the WAN port, lol. I didn't mess with anything in Windows networking stuff since install in Sept) but found out even after switching to a LAN port, the issue persisted a couple weeks later.

I'm really not sure what to do now.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Don't know if it would help but it might be worth a try to set your PC to a static IP.

You'd have to first go in to the Actiontec's setup Advanced  >  IP Address Distribution > Action and edit the DHCP server start and end addresses.  I'd suggest starting at 192.168.1.100 and ending at 192.168.1.150.

Then set your PC to static IP something like 192.168.1.10. 

See if that makes any difference.

Glaice
Enthusiast - Level 3

The four televisions have the .100 block judging by the IPs they have, so I might end up knocking the addresses up if I do that.

Where is this 'static' IP setup thing?

EDIT: Why is it that when I touched the allocation and then moved it back made the client list show up connections in network as static? Even factory default resetting still shows my connections as "Static" as opposed to "Dynamic".

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If your TV's have IP's in the .100 range, maybe Verizon is now shipping routers with the DHCP range already set to start at .100.  They didn't used to.  But you can see what the DHCP range is using the path I described above.  See the screen grab attached.

You set a static IP in Windows 7 by going to Control Panel > Network and Sharing > Change adapater settings.  Right click on properties.  Click on  IP Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) > Properties.

Check Use the following IP address.  Set 192.168.1.10, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, Default gateway 192.168.1.1.

Using a static IP you'll also have to manually set DNS server addresses on the same page.  Try 151.202.0.39 and 4.2.2.6.  Those work pretty well here.  See second screen grab.

See if that does it for you.

edit:  You'll see I have my DHCP range set to 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.150.   I changed the 3rd octect for other reasons.  Leave yours as 192.168.1.xxx.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Couldn't seem to get two file attachments on the previous post so here's the second screen grab.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Glaice wrote:

The four televisions have the .100 block judging by the IPs they have, so I might end up knocking the addresses up if I do that.

Where is this 'static' IP setup thing?

EDIT: Why is it that when I touched the allocation and then moved it back made the client list show up connections in network as static? Even factory default resetting still shows my connections as "Static" as opposed to "Dynamic".

The Actiontec has two DHCP scopes.  192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.150 for STBs and 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 for everything else. Even though the IP ranges overlap, that's not a problem.  While it is best practice to change the DHCP range to allow for static IP addresses, it is not strictly required.  The DHCP protocol specifies that the DHCP server check that an address is not in use before granting a DHCP lease.  

On the Advanced; IP Address Distribution; Connection List screen, There is a link labeled New Static Connection.  This is a misnomer.  A true static connection is defined at the device as in eljefe's screenshot. Windows Static IP  The New Static Connection link creates what is more properly called a "DHCP Reservation".  A DHCP Reservation causes the router to respond to a DHCP request with a preassigned IP address determined by the MAC address of the device.

Resetting the router should clear any DHCP reservations.  You said "resetting the router still shows my connections as "Static".  Are you referring to the main status screen, or the Advanced; IP Address Distribution; Connection List screen?  Devices will appear as static on the main status screen if you set the static IP address at the device.  The router knows it is static because it did not issue a DHCP lease.  DHCP reservations will show on the main status screen as DHCP, but on the connection list screen they will show as "expired". 

If resetting the router did not clear the DHCP reservations, you probably did not hold the reset button in until all the lights went out, then all came on and flashed.

Glaice
Enthusiast - Level 3

All of the IPs on the connection show as DHCP now, but strangely I did not drop for 3 nights until about 30 minutes ago now but I saw some stuff up on the Event Viewer..

The client was unable to validate the following as active DNS server(s) that can service this client. The server(s) may be temporarily unavailable, or may be incorrectly configured. 192.168.1.1

and

The Network Diagnostics Framework has completed the diagnosis phase of operation. The following repair option was offered: 

Helper Class Name: IGDHelperClass
Root Cause: The connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the Internet is broken
The network gateway is accessible, but Windows couldn’t receive network traffic from the Internet. 
Root Cause Guid: {a3344881-8c07-4ba0-8965-5f29cde56820} 

How might this help if the problem is pointing to the router IP? Someone elsewhere said this could be the issue of DNS proxying by the router, can this even be turned off?
0 Likes
Glaice
Enthusiast - Level 3

I spoke with a live chat rep for the third time on this issue and I don't think it is a problem they can fix..tho what harm would swapping the Actiontec router for another supported Verizon router that doesn't do DNS proxying?

0 Likes