No Fios Service...Ever??
waiting2long

I live in Englewood, N.J. a city of 27000 people.13 years ago I was told when I signed up for DSL to "hang on Fios is coming". Well I guess it isn't coming even though the towns surrounding Englewood have had service for many years, Verizon hasn't said nor done anything. Sort of like ignore it and it'll go away. Well after patiently waiting I will be going away to Time-Warner for a true broadband experience [not 1990s copper technology] and to port my phone. Once more than half of the internet customers switch to cable [if they haven't already - most of my neighbors have] does Verizon think they'll switch back again when or if Fios is ever offered? I think we've been written off, oh well glad there's someone who really wants me as a customer.

0 Likes
Re: No Fios Service...Ever??
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, let me put it this way. In most of my area, folks have either Verizon DSL or Time Warner Cable available. Most go with Time Warner Cable due to the reasons you mention. No FiOS, and DSL is either horribly unreliable or far too slow / inconsistent to do things on (meaning, 1.3Mbps is the average speed, with 3M max in many parts. The areas that get >3Mbps tend to be good for DSL though!) for what the user wants to do. Almost everyone I talk to about Internet service, states they'll switch to Verizon as soon as they can bring FiOS out. A lot of folks in my area are tired of Time Warner Cable for many reasons.

There is still some hope left if your town hasn't been wired yet, or has been wired somewhat. This is despite the fact that Verizon has stated that FiOS rollouts are no more, and Wireless is going to be the future (as if).

Otherwise, make sure you get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, and purchase one with Time Warner. Keeps congestion at bay, and Time Warner's silly $5-7 modem rental fee away.

0 Likes
Re: No Fios Service...Ever??
waiting2long

Thanks for that bit of info! That will save me some $$ as the modems are quite reasonable. Since I only need internet and phone its about $75/month [phone unlimited US calling @ $20/month, and their 20/2mbps is $55]. Its cheaper then VRZ on the phone service. Internet is a bit more but the speed is way faster then DSL so now I know what I got to do. It's a real shame but quite typical to "hear" nothing from Verizon. It"s a one-way relationship with them - money goes in their direction thats it. With them buying out the Vodaphone portion of the company they'll have no money for upgrading anything other then patting  top management on the back by providing even bigger bonuses and salaries for them.

Thanks again!

0 Likes