No Improvements with Quantum Gateway
raemike0
Enthusiast - Level 2

I want to let anyone know who is considering upgrading to the new quantum router that there is no perceivable improvment in any reard.  Speedtest.net was actually worse after I upgraded the router but it's basically the equal.  I was hoping some dead spots in the house would improve but no luck, RF limitations apply to any ruoter.   I'm always sceptical of negative reviews and my review isn't negative because the router works - it just offers no improvements over previous models.  The only perceivable improvement is that there are no external antennas. 

Bottom line - spend your $150 or $200 on something better, there is no perceivable improvements over previous models.

0 Likes
Re: No Improvements with Quantum Gateway
bmad1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have had the new Quantam Gateway FIOS-G1100 for a couple of weeks, have problems I never had with the Actiontec router. Throughput is very good, usually around 80 Mbps up and down. But wireless connection is repeatedly lost on devices (most often on three 6s iPhones).  I have MANY spent hours on this problem, spoke to tech support, but tech support offered no fixes. May go back to the Actiontec, as the 5G connection seems the least reliable.

Also, problems with new cable boxes. Show or footbal game etc. will get stuck for a second or two, or will slow down. Doubt it is related to the wireless problem, but could it be?  It is Sunday, do not want to call today as I have found the off hours tech support from Phillipines not as good as Verizon tech support from the U.S.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried changing the channel of your WIFI?

Or if you have an android, use an app called wifi analyzer to see what the optimum channel for your wifi would be.

I beleive Quantum router defaults to auto which may not be the best.

bmad1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yesterday I switched to  channel 1 as the auto setting was usually putting me at 11, which I can see that my neighbor is using.  Will see what happens.That is for 2.4 - I left the 5G set to Auto. Should I change that as well? Not familiar with the channel options on 5G...

Complaints about wireless connection dropping coming from iPhone 6s users... I know that the 6s  tech specs show 802.11a/b/g/n/ac with MIMO... Could AC be causing the dropout issue?  When the turn on their 6s, they are not sometimes not connected, but I have not seen that problem with my iPhone 5s. I know that on my Windows laptop I can disable the energy saving option to disable wireless when asleep/hibernating. Can't find a similiar option for ios 9

Thanks

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@raemike0 wrote:

I want to let anyone know who is considering upgrading to the new quantum router that there is no perceivable improvment in any reard.  Speedtest.net was actually worse after I upgraded the router but it's basically the equal.  I was hoping some dead spots in the house would improve but no luck, RF limitations apply to any ruoter.   I'm always sceptical of negative reviews and my review isn't negative because the router works - it just offers no improvements over previous models.  The only perceivable improvement is that there are no external antennas. 

Bottom line - spend your $150 or $200 on something better, there is no perceivable improvements over previous models.

No ISP provides a good router, it is not cost effective and that will not change until they have a competitor that does.

For $150-$200 you can get a great router.  Turn off the wifi in your FIOS router and get a better router to use as an AP.

I would recommend a Netgear R7000 or an Asus AC68U.    It will feel like you just traded in a VW and got a Porsche.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@db909 wrote:

No ISP provides a good router.

Google does. Not any old router will handle a 1Gbps connection and keep up to it.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Not exactly.  For $200 you get a much better router.  Head over to the SMB router rankings, the Onub is #8 in the older AC1900  arena and the first 7 are all cheaper.

Besides, Google is not a real ISP yet, a lot of press, very few cities/customers.  Comcast and FIOS count internet customers in the millions, Google Fiber in the thousands.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@db909 wrote:
No ISP provides a good router, it is not cost effective and that will not change until they have a competitor that does.

For $150-$200 you can get a great router.  Turn off the wifi in your FIOS router and get a better router to use as an AP.

I would recommend a Netgear R7000 or an Asus AC68U.    It will feel like you just traded in a VW and got a Porsche.

That's how I have my house configured, my Actiontec Rev I as my router with a Netgear r6300v2 as my AP.

Solid WiFi coverage throughout the house and speeds above my 75/75 plan on both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

Works good.  Lasts a long time.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes