No Internet Connectivity via Wireless
colklink
Using Verizon's Actiontek router but not able to pull up any web page from a PC using a Netgear wireless card when WEP is enabled. Yes, the WEP key has been entered correctly. When WEP not enabled, it works fine. The wireless card shows that the signal is excellent and even confirms that it's connected to the router. I tried pinging the PC that's having problems via the diagnostics tool and it fails obviously. Any ideas? A call to Verizon's tech ``support'' was a waste of time. Thanks in advance.
0 Likes
Re: No Internet Connectivity via Wireless
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
WEP has been badly broken.

You might ask how bad..

And the answer to that...: Like 1 to 2 minutes someone could break into your network!

That is according to the source of that info at http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

Episode #89 | 26 Apr 2007 | 46 min.
Even More Badly Broken WEP

--

Moving right along, if you really want to use WEP for some reason....

#1 Check the level of WEP. Two examples: 64 Bit, 128 Bit.

#2 Check to be sure, if you use a Passphrase or Hex (I believe)

Note/Warning: I may be wrong. If it is not a Passphrase, it may be something else other than Hex...

#3 and check to be sure that you are connecting to the right (correct) wireless network. It has happened to other users, by accident..
Message Edited by dslr595148 on 11-30-2008 04:26 PM
0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

The choices for the WEP password are Hex or Ascii. I run 64 bit WEP to an IBM laptop with a 802.11 A/B/G card, and I haven't had a problem.

The security level of WEP is not really in dispute, however WEP will prevent a casual user from using your network.

When evaluating security, keep in mind who the guy who wants to read the information is. Once you understand that, you  realize that 99.8% of  time WEP is adequate, the problem is for the remaining .2%, there probably is nothing that is adequate.

As to whether someone can get into a WEP network in 1-2 minutes, unless there is a lot of traffic on the network, the answer is no they cannot. You have to be able to see enough of the data, and know what it should be, in order to recover the key.

The result is that in theory 256 bit encryption is more secure than 128 bit, which is more secure than 64 bit. The reality is that anyone who can easily crack 64 bit, probably has the hardware resources to crack 128 and 256 bit.

Security also depends upon the type of threat you need protection from. The most reliable way to keep unauthorized people off a wireless network is MAC authentication. unless the MAC address matches the list, the network is closed. That does not protect any of the data being transmitted on the network however.

Encryption keeps people out, and provides some degree of protection for the data.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You should be set for 64 bit hexadecimal open system for your SSID. Just enter your 10 digit WEP Key on the back of the ActionTec.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

"The most reliable way to keep unauthorized people off a wireless network is MAC authentication."

* In short: You are stopping people from connecting to your network by accident, but there is no way that will stop people from getting onto the network on purpose.*

Long version:

#1 Yah, right!

It is not fool proof.

At http://computer.howstuffworks.com/wireless-network3.htm

where it says that "The system isn't foolproof." Read, what it says..

And let me tell you that, MAC Addresses are always sent in the clear regardless of the Encryption used - Hint, hint.

That is according to the source of that info at http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

Episode #146 | 29 May 2008 | 90 min.
Listener Feedback #42

Also found in other Episode(s), if you read/listen to what Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte have to say..

--

This does not mean you can not use MAC authentication, just beware of the truth!

😉
Message Edited by dslr595148 on 12-01-2008 01:03 PM
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

I'd be more than happy to call you and get this issue resolved once and for all. Please PM me your # and best time to call you. Please keep in mind that the best way I can help is to directly connect to the Router temporary so that we can make some changes and see what happens

0 Likes