Re: No More FTP?
Bri_Tech_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, not that I think that my demands will be heard or met, I am demanding that FTP support not be pulled.

FTP is both the de facto and, effectively, de jure standard method by which HTML files (among myriad others) are uploaded to webspace everywhere.   Try to find a commercial web authoring product that does not use FTP as its method of uploading/dowloading from webspace as the primary method.

No ISP, including Verizon, has the right to effectively eliminate the ability to use something their customers have paid for and have been using, safely and easily, for years using "the usual methods."

Those of us who are paying customers need to make our feelings abundantly clear on this matter and, for those who can, walk if they actually go through with this action.

piwtrnr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Again I have to ask how a company so big can be soooo stupid!

Bill

teck73
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm no activist, but I think someone out there should start up a petition to show Verizon how many people are upset about this change. This is ridiculous. I used my Personal Web Space to teach myself to write HTML. Now it'll be all for nothing.

pernick
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't use the personal webspace to host my content.  I have a self-coded Java web server running at home and only store HTML re-direct files on the webspace that point to my IP. When the server detects that my IP has changed, it uploads updated HTML re-directs using FTP.  Since I won't be losing any content I guess it's not a big deal as I can switch to another host but I'm still peeved.  The personal space with FTP is a major reason I never switched to cable internet.

AlexaW1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon will no longer allow users to FTP their files to the Personal Website that Verizon offers! This change will take effect on August 21, 2011.

Notification No more FTP
watsitmean
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am trying to understand what the recent Notification Message really means to the user?  

The following was copied from the announcement.

"These modifications will occur on August 21, 2011. For security reasons, Verizon will no longer allow users to FTP their HTML files to the personal web site Verizon offers.

Verizon recommends that current FTP users download their files prior to August 21, 2011 to prevent any data loss.

If you still wish to have a Verizon website, please go to our site builder tool available with Personal Webspace which can be found under My Services in My Verizon at:

http://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pws_manageWebSpace#wlp_pws_manageWebS... "

When I try to find out what is really meant by going to the above link I do not find any information on the subject.

Can anyone help me know what I really need to do?  Can I still continue to use my Verizon email address?  Can I use a different server to send and receive email from?  Can I upload and download POP files?

What is an invalid HTML?

Re: Notification No more FTP
Bri_Tech_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

whatsitmean wrote:

Can anyone help me know what I really need to do?

If you are not using the personal webspace provided as part of your Verizon internet service there's nothing you really need to do.   This issue arises only for individuals who are using their webspace whether that's for maintaining an actual website or for file sharing (e.g., putting digital pictures in this space to "host" them for download by others or eBay listings, etc.)

Can I still continue to use my Verizon email address?  Can I use a different server to send and receive email from?  Can I upload and download POP files?

E-mail is a completely different ball of wax from this issue.   Unless Verizon would decide to do something as bone-headed with their e-mail servers as they have with their webspace servers nothing will change for those who use e-mail clients (e.g., MS-Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc.) to access their e-mail via POP  (and I'd imagine, IMAP, but I am not certain whether or not Verizon supports IMAP)

What is an invalid HTML?    

You got me?   I don't know how to answer this question because I don't even know what is being asked.

I am really glad to see that this announcement seems to be causing the concern and consternation that it legitimately should.   I resent the fact that I am being effectively cut off from something I paid for (and continue paying for) because some individual(s) at Verizon have made the ill-informed decision that FTP is somehow "not secure."  It is as secure as any other password protected protocol and serves as the backbone of website publishing to webspace.   People who actually have websites on their Verizon webspace have every right to be furious about this insanely stupid decision.

Re: Notification No more FTP
df034381
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree.  When you build your own website with whatever tool available (PHP, Publisher, MS Visual Studio, WORD, MS Visual Web Developer Express (Free) replacement for former Frontpage), then you will have CSS, HTML, JPG, GIF, JS, ASP, etc. files that you must manage. Those very tools have built into them the ability to upload/publish/manage via a site's FTP server. 

How can Verizon provide website's without the ability to upload/manage the file structure data files?

Verizon Must provide it's customers and FTP substitute that will work.  Web site hosting company IPOWER.COM provides their customers a FILE MANAGER tool as well as FTP.

A stated before, I moved my data and hosting to http://IPOWER.COM and will continue to use their FTP server via  Microsoft's Visual Web Developer Express at http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-web-developer-express

volunteerguy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I support very small websites for non-profit and volunteer organizations by pointing their domain to html in my Verizon personal account.  Even though these sites are quite tidy, there is a lot of textual, helpful and important information out there that will now have to find another home.    

I believe many of us realize we can't use free hosting sites as an alternative since the features are extremely llimited.  The domains they provide for free, not unexpectedly, fail miserably in the Web of Trust (WOT) tests (imagine not having "faith" in a church web site).  You get what you pay for. 

There are quite a few hosting sites out there that offer reasonable rates for guys like me that only need a few features for this personal account (FTP, minimal space, 1 domain name).  Search around and you can find some coupon codes for them, too.  Some of us might work for or know someone that can give us a little space for free on a trustworthy web server, ask around.  I choose to keep my personal stuff separate, though.  Yes, I know, we shouldn't have to be doing this, but y'all said it well already... I won't override my </rant> tag.     

Maybe something will change, but in the meantime, if you're in the same boat as I where hundreds of good people depend on you to keep them informed with regularly updated websites, be prepared. 

RTD1
Enthusiast - Level 3

No use talking to the those on the phone. Time to go OLD SCHOOL,,get our pens and paper out and write a sincere letter to the Board of Directors in New York in explaining the only advantage Verizon has over its cable competitors is the use of the FTP and their personal webspace.  I personally would of left for a faster service of cable but have remained only due to their webspace. To restrict me to their sitebuilder inferrior program is a eviction order for me to leave. Prior to changing ISP and my two landline phones I will dump all my verizon stock and purchase Comcast as I believe there are many people out there just like me. With all these people leaving Verizon, my stock will be devalued.  I am getting out while I still will not lose my money.

If you like to write your own letter, the address is:

Verizon Communications Inc.

Board of Directors

140 West Street, 29th Floor

New York, New York 10007

RTD