Re: No More FTP?
Hoobit
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just got help from  chat support - I'm passing on information related to my complaints above, for others who may have had the  same problems.

(1) The link to email support is way over on the right as a little line of text sayinig  "contact us." Duh.

(2) There is a message saying email support for internet problems not available - use chat. If you don't notice that, as I hadn't,  it accepts your email, but ignores it.

(3) The chat works wonderfully. Once you get to a person they do help. I learned that if I use IE instead of Chrome I can get into site builder just fine. Apparently has something to do with allowing pop ups. I had tried IE before when I got in but forgot. The site builder comes up as a pop up - or not.

And they easily reset my TOS settings to Accept. So all is well. 

Rawket
Enthusiast - Level 1

I left Comcast because they were raking me over the coals for their basic Internet package, and came over to the dark side of DSL, and now this??  I've been using some form of FTP since before the word Internet was even a word... this is a STANDARD service that every other Internet provider offers.  I hate the Verizon WYSIWYG editor.... as others have mentioned, it might be okay for newbies who don't know anything, but I want the ability to use my own software for hard coding and FTPing my files to my website.  If I had any other high-speed Internet options in my area, I'd drop kick Verizon to the curb before the sun went down today.

chipguy1
Enthusiast - Level 1

This decision by Verizon has to rank up near the top of the list of STUPID, BONEHEADED management decisions.  They apparently don't have a clue just how MAD this is going to make a lot of loyal customers.  Many of us have invested a LOT of time in our personal web pages and now they are being rendered USELESS.  Their "tool" (if you can even call it that) is TOTALLY INADEQUATE and it IGNORES all the content that we have assembled and placed on these sites.

CALL AND COMPLAIN!

just_koolin
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can't figure the reasoning behind this decision???  It seems so petty and I was a little upset at first, but looked around and found a free hosting site that is MUCH better than verizon ever was, hope it stays that way.  {Keep it Legal}  (No Strings attached).

0 Likes
restoman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just-koolin, what's the name of the free site you found?

Ed

0 Likes
Housewrap
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is pretty unbelievable to me how {please keep your posts courteous} this company is to believe that positioning the elimination of FTP is "part of our ongoing enhancements to the online customer experience".  I have been building my own custom website since I was with Comcast several years ago and just transferred the whole site over via FTP onto Verizon's space.  Quick and Easy!  The Verizon site builder is a joke replacement and not even a remote substitute for those who want to learn HTML and upload their own pages.  As much as I really grew to dislike Comcast, this stellar move by Verizon is leaps and bounds more aggregious than anything Comcast ever tried to pull on it's customers.  Surely with all the IT prowess Verizon has and certainly the $$$$$, they could figure out how to securely offer and FTP service.  Or,.... is this just a ploy to offer a tiered offering where additional fees could be charged to have the privilage of being able to use FTP.

{please keep your posts courteous}

Your customers are unhappy...wake up be smart and fix this.

KEEP_FTP_WEB
Enthusiast - Level 1

DEAR VERIZON -

YOU WILL LOSE CUSTOMERS BY DISCONTINUING FTP UPLOADING SERVICES- PLEASE RESCIND YOUR DECISION. 

YOUR LACK OF SUPPORT AND MISCOMMUNICATION IN THIS MATTER IS ALSO A SLAP IN THE FACE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS, AND NOT WHAT WE HAVE COME TO EXPECT FROM  DECENT COMPANY. 

YOU WILL ALSO SUFFER BAD WORD OF MOUTH IN THE TWITTER SPHERE.  THE DECISION TO DROP FTP SUPPORT WITHOUT A REPLACEMENT FOR USERS TO UPLOAD SITES IS A SERIOUS BUSINESS MISTAKE  ON YOUR PART.

PLEASE EXCUSE ALL CAPS, BUT YOUR USERS STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU RESCIND THIS BAD BUSINESS DECISION WITH SUCH VERY POOR SUPPORT AND COMMUNICATION. 

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS MATTER

ALL USERS WHO ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THIS -- TWITTER THE ENTIRE WORLD AND GET FOLLOWERS TO CONVINCE VERIZON TO RESCIND THIS BAD IDEA.

@Housewrap wrote:

It is pretty unbelievable to me how {please keep your posts courteous} this company is to believe that positioning the elimination of FTP is "part of our ongoing enhancements to the online customer experience".  I have been building my own custom website since I was with Comcast several years ago and just transferred the whole site over via FTP onto Verizon's space.  Quick and Easy!  The Verizon site builder is a joke replacement and not even a remote substitute for those who want to learn HTML and upload their own pages.  As much as I really grew to dislike Comcast, this stellar move by Verizon is leaps and bounds more aggregious than anything Comcast ever tried to pull on it's customers.  Surely with all the IT prowess Verizon has and certainly the $$$$$, they could figure out how to securely offer and FTP service.  Or,.... is this just a ploy to offer a tiered offering where additional fees could be charged to have the privilage of being able to use FTP.

{please keep your posts courteous}

Your customers are unhappy...wake up be smart and fix this.

Bri_Tech_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, It definitely appears that I've managed to get the attention of someone.   I sent a slightly revised version of the letter I'd posted earlier, and this is what actually was sent on 7/25/2011:

===================================================================

Verizon Communications, Inc.

Board of Directors

{edited for privacy}

Dear Mesdames & Sirs:

I am writing to you in response to an e-mail message sent to Verizon customers on July, 20, 2011, entitled Important Changes to your Verizon Internet Account for FTP* Users.   This message announced:  Verizon will no longer allow users to FTP their HTML files to the personal web site Verizon offers . . . If you still wish to have a Verizon website, please go to our site builder tool available with Personal Webspace which can be found under My Services in My Verizon. 

For anyone managing a substantial website using Verizon webspace this creates an impossible situation.  FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is at the very heart of virtually all commercial and open source web development software.   It is the de facto method by which data is uploaded/downloaded in the process of website maintenance.  The site builder tool does not even come close to approximating the capabilities provided by any standard web authoring tool and is woefully inadequate to the purpose of maintaining even small-scale, multi-page websites.  If security is really what has driven this decision then SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) should have been introduced to replace standard FTP.

If this decision is not reconsidered I shall be forced to sever my relationship with Verizon for both telephone service and as an internet service provider (ISP).   I have been a Verizon customer for over 10 years and have used Verizon exclusively for my phone and internet services.   However, I shall not continue to do so when webspace, a product that is critical to my two small businesses and that I have purchased, is made inaccessible by a decision that is indefensible on any grounds.

I ask you to have your technical staff reexamine this decision and, in light of the hardship it would cause for millions of your existing customers, to rescind it.

Sincerely,

===================================================================

I just received a call from HQ in Manhattan assuring me that this letter was being sent to the correct department and that I would be receiving a direct response from them after it was reviewed and from the same representative in New York who initiated contact with me.

I don't know what the resolution will end up being but I am heartened by the fact that this letter didn't get summarily tossed into "the round file."    It appears that what I've been told before is true:  in this electronic age since writing and sending a paper letter requires quite a bit more effort than e-mail, paper letters have a higher attention-getting factor.  It appears to be a good idea to let your displeasure be known in a forceful, yet businesslike, manner.

Let's keep our collective fingers crossed.   

Bri_Tech_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, the address to communicate with the Verizon Board of Directors, which is posted on the following Verizon webpage, is being "edited for privacy"?

http://www22.verizon.com/investor/investor.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=bo_contacttheboard

I'm sorry, madam or sir, but Verizon is a publicly traded company and the address of the BOD for business communication is not in any way private.  It's not just investors who may wish to communicate with the board.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To All, the truth must be told...

Seen/heard in http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Verizon-no-longer-to-allow-users-to-use-FTP-to-maintain-t...

@wrhimes wrote:

After talking to Customer Service and Tech Support, Yes they are disabling FTP for the personal web sites.  This is being painted as a "security enhancement" but if you pay $6 a month it is no longer a security risk?  I think is is probably a means of cutting cost cutting by reducing DASD use.  If you make a service inconvenient then people will stop using it.  What a shame, and I have been so satisfied with Verizon prior to now, but I just don't appreciate being treated as if I am stupid.

0 Likes