Re: No More FTP?
stawick1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just adding my voice to this thread as well. Not pleased with the removal of ftp access to my html files.

As I posted in 1 of the other threads, I too find SiteBoulder useless. I require ftp access. Tried it tonight (8/5, well the 6th about now), and was kicked out trying to cd to a dir and listing files.  Looks like its starting already.  Gee, thanks for nothing big-V.

Grrrrr.

MrChris1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Aren't they doing away with FTP 100%, not just for managing HTML? I use it for uploading pictures mostly.

just_koolin
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is x10hosting.com but I have been using it for about a week now, and it is ok! but it was a little flakey today for a period.  It is absolutly free so give it a try if you can deal  with the uncertainty.  "IF" this verizon thing doesn't straighten out I will probably bite the bullet and go to hostgator.com they have a very good reputation.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you do need any help with x10Hosting's Free service, I am a helper over there. Stop into their IRC and yell my username (same as this forum). I'm typically connected 24/7.

0 Likes
RTD1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I went and checked out some other web hosting places. I came across one that is FREE and had 100 Megs of space...yes, that comes to 100,000 megs of space for your site. If interested, I loaded up my site today at

http://bobbyzpicksattheraces.horizon-host.com/

the place to sign up is http://horizon-host.com/

This server is FTP friendly.

Make sure you read the terms and conditions (like no adult sites, etc)

It is also forced ads free.....

Even if Verizon changes their minds, I am gone....will just post up a link forwarding page at the old site....who needs Verizon, well those 45 thousand workers on strike right now needs verizon to stop outsourcing thier tech support to India and Indonesia. (like 17k went their last year)...

RTD1
Enthusiast - Level 3

check that....100 GIGS of space....100,000 megs...me tired....lol

Donfulan
Enthusiast - Level 1

Must add my 2 cents worth to this Verizon fiasco!  I too was alarmed to see an email notice warning that Verizon will "no longer allow users to FTP their HTML files to the personal web site Verizon offers". . One of the primary reasons I've been a Verizon DSL customer more many, many years was the facility to upload my OWN html files, built by me offline with a professional program and uploaded to the Verizon servers at my convenience.

The first thing I noticed about the email was the fact that my browser identified it as a "scan". So I made the mistake of going to Verizon Central to use their "Chat" program to see if anyone in India could enlighten me on the subject.  Agent Parteek (from India) acknowledged that he knew nothing about it but referred me to Verizon tech support service with a 1-877 number that looked promising.  After waiting a full 20 minutes on the phone, a gentleman representing Super Media answered and advised me that they were no longer conntected with Verizon.. seems that Parteek didn't get that memo.

Returning to Verizon Central I searched high and low for a clear statement from Verizon about the impending change but found NOTHING.. except vague references to their Mickey Mouse Web Builder which I briefly visited before frustration overtook me.  So at this point I don't know if Verizon intends to allow  FTP uploads using their confusing, primitive Site Builder after the 21st or not!

But, just a few minutes ago while on Verizon Central, I did notice the long list of comments and complains coming from other outraged Verizion customers and had to add my voice to the outcry.  Since it's nigh unto impossible communicating electronically, personally and meaningfully with Verizon using their tier 1 "support" methods, my next xtep will be a good, old fashioned certified letter to Verizion Corporate along with a sincere notice of intent to terminate ALL my accounts with them on or before the next 2 year contract is up.  I'd urge others to do the same..

restoman
Enthusiast - Level 3

just_koolin and RTD, thanks for the links. I'll give them a shot.

Oh, and by the way, Verizon, I have a suggestion as to what you can do with Sitebuilder.

Ed

RTD1
Enthusiast - Level 3

For those that are planning or have already moved their site to a new location, I would suggest the following:

Got to site builder and create a homepage with just the facts that Verizon shut your old site down and the new locations is located  (typer out the site url). Do not publish it until they shut down the current server and remove our sites.

That way, anyone who is looking via a search engine or a favorite tab will know how to locate your page. It also will be picked up by the spiders and over time, the new site will be gaining ranking on the search results list at google, yahoo, etc.

I also would contact the places with which you traded links to and from each other sites and have them change their links over to your new address. Once that has happened, your site will be basically back to normal after a few months (I hope)...

Deadling is Sunday...why do I feel like Veizon will shut us down at midnight Sunday mean greenich time (7pm sat our time)?

restoman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mine's already shut down. No more FTP access as of a few days ago. I guess not only does Verizon have no clue about the security of FTP or FTPS, they also don't know how to count.

Ed