Re: No More FTP?
tns
Master - Level 2

Mine still operates at the moment.  I don't have a main page, but have various other sub pages that I let "friends" know about.

bpsanborn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I use Windows 7 Explorer and define the webspace as a network drive.  Everything is still working as of Wed 8/24

Brian

0 Likes
RTD1
Enthusiast - Level 3

ll, they finally got to me...I am now dead in the water. Although I moved my site (glad I did), their server went down yesterday and is still down. I have no way to update until the server goes back online. This love/hate relationship with computers and the internet still drives me nuts at times. Though frustrating, I cannot see myself going back to the days without my pc and isp.

Since I no longer will be with Verixzon, I will just say goodbye to all and I bid you all peace.

Bri_Tech_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I'm now "dead in the water" too.   I'd been able to connect through yesterday and did get the final set of the latest updates done on the two websites I have on my Verizon webspace.

Now the search will begin for an alternate ISP.   Verizon's response to customer feedback regarding this harebrained decision has not only been bad, it's been non-existent.  I'm just glad that my websites are reached via domain forwarding and I can just pick up my toys and go elsewhere.

It's sad and inane that the de facto protocol for managing webspace has been pulled without any provision for an adquate replacement.   You really can't get dumber than this.

westfalr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Insane. It took me at least three transfers to get to someone who knew what was going on. Then I was told, "We sent you an email."

I thought maybe I could use their web interface to get to my accounts to update my files. However nothing I tried got to my previous directories. However I did find that the web address that the web interface worked with was quite different from what I had before. 

There's no technical reason why they couldn't make the previous accounts updatable from their web interface. A lot of free sites offer a web interface for uploading. They could make it secure with little effort if they don't want to users use secure FTP.

This goes along with Verizon's history of slimy behavior. They stopped supporting copper when they upgraded to fiber optic. It took several months, but I negotiated down to what I was paying already for comparable service when they did the upgrade in our area. They told me that I'd get a monthly credit for the difference. Then they didn't deliver on that. I finally did get the credit after about a year when I filed a complaint with our state utilities commission.

Among other things, the changed policies mean that I can no longer update the web site I created for my wife at http://mysite.verizon.net/westfalr/mrswestfall/index.html. Even if I migrate that web site and others I have created to the new address they are providing, it means that all the effort I have put into search optimization may be greatly devalued. Right now, my wife's pages are the top two in Google (excluding sponsored links). 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Error:    Connection timed out
Error:    Could not connect to server
Error:    Connection attempt interrupted by user

Looks like they just completely shut down the FTP daemon. Even a socket check isn't coming back with anything so yeah, it looks like they were a few days late on their promise to take it away.

0 Likes
sjrockower
Enthusiast - Level 1

What crap.  I just found out TODAY, August 29, that this was being shut down as of August 21.  No emails, nothing.  Maybe they emailed it to my verizon email account which I never used due to all the spam they couldn't filter.

So who has a reasonable hosting site?

Clay_Smith
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey Verizon - thanks for stopping FTP access!  I was motivated to find a new hosting solution for $4/month (compared to the $10/month I was paying for your 510MB of space)....they gave me a free domain name, unlimited space, virus scanning, and a lot of other tools that I don't need, but I'm also not REQUIRED to use.  (iPage, if you care)

.  I'll keep you for my Internet access, but you just saved me $6/month, got me the domain name I've wanted but never pursued, and allowed me to put more data on my website since you don't have anything more than 510MB and I'd filled that up.

Sincerely,

{edited for privacy}

Plano, TX

marknjul
Enthusiast - Level 1

Everyone

I just want to know how to DELETE all the files on my web space now.

I got no email that Verizon was going to get rid of the FTP ability. I spoke with Tech Support tonight and they have NO idea how to delete the files on my web site. I have been all over the "site builder" section trying to access/delete my files. No luck there... Talk about user UN-FRIENDLY ! ! ! Web site builder is a joke... Smiley Very Happy

I also created my own web site on IPage and my own Domain name....... Smiley Happy

Anyone know how to delete my old verizon web site files ?

Thanks everyone !

Mark

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

At the moment, I don't know of any way the files would be deletable, through Site Builder or through support. You might need to see if you can get Phone Support to put in a ticket to clear out your PWS space for being "Glitched." Otherwise I have no idea.

0 Likes