Re: No More FTP?
nazgul1
Enthusiast - Level 1

One free (for 1 year)  service to consider is Amazon Web Service's Free Usage Tier:

"As part of the AWS Free Usage Tier, you can get started with Amazon S3 for free. Upon sign-up, new AWS customers receive 5 GB of Amazon S3 storage, 20,000 Get Requests, 2,000 Put Requests, and 15GB of data transfer out each month for one year."

http://aws.amazon.com/s3/#pricing

See site for additional terms.

0 Likes
nazgul1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got off the phone with Verizon Support.  I spent almost an hour on the call and eventually ended up talking to a supervisor who said that the personal space and ftp access were given as a courtesy in the past.  According to him, the only thing we pay for is bandwidth - any feature can be turned off or discontinued at any time.

Bri_Tech_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

And our continued use of Verizon as an ISP can be considered a courtesy that many of us will no longer extend.  I am still trying to find an alternative ISP that offers comparable service at a comparable price in my area.  Verizon's got DSL almost completely "locked up" here.

Whether by contract or by "courtesy" the services offered when an individual signs on are an implied part of the package whether contractually enumerated or not.

The kind of attitude displayed by this supervisor are the very reason that people are legitimately infuriated.  It's even more galling when the attempted spin is that it's for the benefit of customers.  Pure garbage. . .

Thebobo
Enthusiast - Level 3

The FTP account  is part of your subscription package, and is available at no extra charge.

http://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&action=FTP%20Server%20Information&_pageLabel=pws...

kkknapp
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too am trying to find out how to delete the files off the PWS. Since we only have 10MB of free space, my old website is taking up 8 of the 10 not leaving much space for the new website I did create with SiteBuilder. Is this another way to make you spend more money for additional space? If I could get the old site removed, I'd have pleanty of space for the new one.

Nachtlog123
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am trying to clear off my old data myself.  I have almost 50% of it left there.  I have talked to no less than seven Verizon people over the past two weeks trying to get answers.  Most have been very courteous but did not have a clue as to what was going on.  One guy told me he would call me back with the answer in five minutes - that was eleven days ago.  But the last person I spoke to today told me that it is a, get this, Javascript problem - how do you like that?!  She said that she and her supervisor have looked in the "forums and blogs" and came to that conclusion.  So you see, we had the answer ourselves the whole time!  What a bunch of **bleep**.  I said that Java is up to date on my PC and that sounds like a lame answer.  She also added in the free service crap about the personal web space.

Whatever good it does, I am on hold with Trellix (the Site Builder vendor) right now....

Nachtlog123
Enthusiast - Level 1

... the nice tech at Trellix (actually web.com) requested that Verizon's person of contact get in touch with their person of contact to find a solution.

Well, I guess we can now figure on this not ever being rectified.

Signed,

bent-over-by -verizon

pizzedoff57
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, all in all this is pretty awesome. 

I can see it now. . .

"Hey, let's remove our paying customers' ability to alter their web space content!"

"Great idea, Jim.  You're promoted."

Bri_Tech_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, and as of this evening I have entered the "twilight zone" of Verizon technical support regarding that very issue.   I heeded their advice about making sure that I had downloaded copies of the files on my PWS prior to the indiscribably inane decision pulling FTP access.  What I hadn't imagined is that there would be no way through the Site Builder tool to delete existing files on PWS.  This is even more interesting in light of the fact that clicking on the Web Space Monitor link on the very same page as all of the Site Builder tool links lets you see a listing of each and every directory and file that's currently on your PWS.

Why there should be a tool that lets you see what you have, but no tool to let you do anything with it, including delete it, is another of those ineffable mysteries of Verizon's concern for the security of its customers.

pizzedoff57
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey, at least you managed to see the directory - I can't even get that far!

Smiley Very Happy