Re: No More FTP?
tns
Master - Level 2

@britechguy wrote:

....  What I hadn't imagined is that there would be no way through the Site Builder tool to delete existing files on PWS.  This is even more interesting in light of the fact that clicking on the Web Space Monitor link on the very same page as all of the Site Builder tool links lets you see a listing of each and every directory and file that's currently on your PWS.

I haven't tried PWS recentl (I like my exisintg stuff), but what happens if you build and publish a new site.  Are your existing files still there.

Bri_Tech_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

As things stand at the moment there is no way to directly access any files on your PWS that were generated by other than the useless Site Builder tool.  I can't even get Site Builder to run correctly.

If anyone knows of a way to get at files on your PWS, even if it's just to delete them, would you please post it?

We now have a situation where not only do we not have access to PWS by the de facto access method used by every web publishing tool, but we have "orphan" websites that remain crawlable by web search engines that we can't take down.

Someone at Verizon needs to get this mess fixed so that full access to personal files created on PWS is restored.  Site Builder is clearly not the tool to do that job, so give us an option that actually works!

JamB2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had enough of the ftp nonsense and complained to NJ Consumer Service Center at (973) 504-6200.

My last call to Verizon ended with "There are no plans to replace the ftp with something else." In other words no access to PWS.

riverupdude
Enthusiast - Level 1

They have altered/removed services that were part of the SERVICE CONTRACT (2year) that I agreed to.  I have thought several times about switching to other provider(s), but you know ...is it really worth it and I have always meant to re-host my web/homepage site back out to Verizon, I had it on another ISP before.

Anyway, DO WE HAVE ANY LEGAL LEG TO STAND ON since they changed the services agreement ?  

BTW...FTP is NOT SECURE , it transmits username/password in clear text.   But like someone else mentioned SFTP (Secure FTP) is an encrypted version which encrypts ALL data once the connection is established.   All they need to do is get the SFTPd daemon /service running on their host.  Then clients (custmers) can download a  FREE Client (SFTP)  like Putty

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Pretty easy stuff really !

God Bles everyone.

df034381
Enthusiast - Level 2
upsetinri
Enthusiast - Level 1

I cannot believe this wold happen.  I don't want to rebuild my website that I have spent 13+ years building and then have to use a stupid template to do it.  I have found another hosting site that give me 100 times the amount of space for half the price.  I can use ftp and my own way of building and maintaining my website.  I didn't want to spend all evening/night doing this but verizon gave me no choice.  After having a month of internet issues and now this, I'm very tempted to go back to cox.  😞

luna1124

Hi All,

I still cannot access any of my existing files. I can't upload photos or delete old stuff I don't want anymore. Sitebulider is not what I want to use since I already have an html program on my computer and spent hours making my site. All I need is FTP.

0 Likes
luna1124

Oh happy happy joy joySmiley Sad

0 Likes
Bri_Tech_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

By now it is abundantly clear that we will never have conventional access to our webspace again.  This really appears to be a brazen ploy to eventually discontinue the service completely for we "residential serfs."   For the time being our functional use of webspace we paid for, and were promised FTP access to as part of our service agreement, has been taken from us anyway.  This would have been justifiable had SFTP service been substituted and allowed, but it has not.

I am still trying to figure out how to take my business, both voice and broadband, elsewhere as this behavior on the part of Verizon is outrageous.   That's difficult to do in the area where I live.

pizzedoff57
Enthusiast - Level 3

Will this ever be fixed, Verizon?

0 Likes