No bill proration after cancellation
internetuser
Enthusiast - Level 1

Today is Feb. 2. My billing date is on the 1st

I just cancelled my service after one year as the promotional price ended and the bill went up. I called to ask for another discount but was not offered anything comparable without a contract. I decided to go with another provider and have new internet installed.

When I called today to have the service cancelled, I was told that I am one day into my billing cycle, and I'm going to get another bill with no proration. I've never heard of not prorating service, even though it has been cancelled. I'll never use verizon again, and I hope to tell everyone I know about this negative experience.

Re: No bill proration after cancellation
jonjones1
Legend

@internetuser wrote:

Today is Feb. 2. My billing date is on the 1st

I just cancelled my service after one year as the promotional price ended and the bill went up. I called to ask for another discount but was not offered anything comparable without a contract. I decided to go with another provider and have new internet installed.

When I called today to have the service cancelled, I was told that I am one day into my billing cycle, and I'm going to get another bill with no proration. I've never heard of not prorating service, even though it has been cancelled. I'll never use verizon again, and I hope to tell everyone I know about this negative experience.

You are preaching to the choir so to speak. We are customers helping customers.

it has been standard practice that if one day into your cycle it cannot be prorated. That is why you cancel a few days before the end date of service.

its the same way on the wireless side. You can still use your service you paid for but must then make sure you totally cancel by the closing date listed on your monthly invoice.

0 Likes
internetuser
Enthusiast - Level 1

To my understanding, it is not common practice in Wireless. In fact, in my previous career I've managed a corporate wireless store and explained countless times to customers about prorations during cancellations and transfers of accounts. This is possibly just a method to penalize customers who are jumping ship, and gain a bit of last minute revenue in the end.

jonjones1
Legend

@internetuser wrote:

To my understanding, it is not common practice in Wireless. In fact, in my previous career I've managed a corporate wireless store and explained countless times to customers about prorations during cancellations and transfers of accounts. This is possibly just a method to penalize customers who are jumping ship, and gain a bit of last minute revenue in the end.

I have been a wireless customer of now Verizon *formally call Bell Atlantic/NYNEX Mobile.* for over 35 years. I also managed a government account with Verizon and others and it was always the same. Your invoice is covering the next month. So when a customer pays say a invoice on a 4th of a month closing date, the next invoice is the 5th. Through the 4th. Of the next month. If you cancel service say on the 3rd. You owe zero since you already paid up to the 4th. 

However if you decide to cancel on the 5th. You are paying for the whole month up to the 4th. Of next bill closing. You may still use the service you paid for, however you will not get any pro rata for the service. All providers do this. 

You must read that terms of service carefully. 

0 Likes
hehehe2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Regardless of you being a Verizon customer of 35 year, I'm telling you that, were if not for greed, then it is purely the laziness of the service provider's tech department that payment is not prorated for mid-term cancallation. I'm so disappointed that, as a customer (if you real are), you live with such inproper article, without realizing it is the scheme of the providers, and yet call it a "standard practice".

Period

jonjones1
Legend

@hehehe wrote:

Regardless of you being a Verizon customer of 35 year, I'm telling you that, were if not for greed, then it is purely the laziness of the service provider's tech department that payment is not prorated for mid-term cancallation. I'm so disappointed that, as a customer (if you real are), you live with such inproper article, without realizing it is the scheme of the providers, and yet call it a "standard practice".

Period

I don’t make the policy at the providers I just give you the facts of the matter. You can accept the facts or can beat your head against the wall at what is transpiring.

if I cancel service I know that Verizon bills a “full month” in advance. Now if I cancel it will be at the end of my advance month. Not one day after when the cycle repeats.

good example is I have had Sirius XM since before they merged. The pricing keeps rising and I am sick of playing let’s make a deal to call every year for more than one vehicle for a lower price. This year I simply said cancel my service on the 18th of June.

my end date is on June 18, 2018 I did not cancel after that date since my card gets dinged for next years service. I am not asking for prorated service. 

Why do you think as a customer of verizon I should ask them to break policy that affects more than just myself? So I use the service until the bill closing date and move on. 

No forum posts about how I am being cheated etc. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They certainly used to give money back for the unused period.  I finally closed my NY home in 2015 and got such a bill.  Note that NOT all portions of your bill are payed for a month in advance so your finally bill usually has some new charges for tne period as well as refunds for the unused period, but normally will be a refund IF you do not also for Early Termination.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@tns2 wrote:

They certainly used to give money back for the unused period.  I finally closed my NY home in 2015 and got such a bill.  Note that NOT all portions of your bill are payed for a month in advance so your finally bill usually has some new charges for tne period as well as refunds for the unused period, but normally will be a refund IF you do not also for Early Termination.

Having been with Verizon before it was named Verizon (Bell Atlantic NYNEX, Bell Telephone, NY Telephone) i can tell you the company does not as a matter of policy issue prorata refunds. Some services like regular landline phone is not billed in advance so refunds would be possible. However their wireless and fiber optic services are billed one month in advance. Now if in advance you would think a refund possible for days not used. Google the situation and you will get mixed results. Some people state no refund was ever issued or received. Others say they received a partial refund after extraneous charges were added on. I can see about early termination fees but many customers don’t owe them. 

I know if you google refunds for deposits and fees you  will also note those monies are not received.  

When or or if I need to cancel a service I do it by the end date or a few days before.

this way nothing is owed by me and we part as friends.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure why everyone isn't getting a prorated bill.  Here is a portion of mine from when I terminated my services in 2015.  There were also some positives, but I got a refund check in Feb 2016.  Note Also about a third was eaten by early termination fee.

Requested Change in Service
Cancelled Services
Bundle Price (184.99 per month)
removed 11/17
(TV -$49.99, Internet -$53.34,
Phone -$20) -123.33
(Rent): HD Set Top Box 2 @ 8.99
removed 11/17
(17.98 per month for 20 day refund) -11.99
(Rent): HD Multi-Room DVR removed
11/17
(19.99 per month for 20 day refund) -13.33
Subtotal - 20 days -$148.65 11/17 - 12/6
Partial month charge or refund for
services added or removed prior to
the bill date.
Fees & Other Charges
Taxes, Governmental Fees & Surcharges
NY State and Local Sales Tax -3.97
Verizon Surcharges & Fees
Federal Universal Service Fee -2.24
Video Franchise Fee -3.96
FDV Administrative Charge -.66
Subtotal -$10.83

jonjones1
Legend

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/account/pay-bill/refunds

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/account/pay-bill/final-bill

Well I’ll when I am wrong, I admit it. I was wrong. The above two links show that prorata is indeed done now. Maybe I am getting to old and should look up the situation as I have done with other help requests.

my apology’s for the misinformation. ☹️

0 Likes