No internet on Gateway G1100 Guest Network when router used in Access Pont mode
shearwater17

Topology: ONT to Actiontec via RG45 into WAN port. Verizon coax to splitter. From splitter to Actiontec and to STB,  STB guides on TV all work. Actiontec in DHCP mode. Then ActionTec LAN to home network.

Gateway G1100 set up as static IP.  Network RG45 into LAN port of G1100. DHCP off. 2.4G and 5G on. Wifi devices connect to internet ok. Red light on Internet LED.

When I connect a wireless device to the Gateway G1100 Guest Network, it connects and gets an IP 192.168.200.x but with no internet. Most of my Wi-Fi devices, have static IPs with gateway IPs  set as the ActionTec IP and DNS set for 8.8.8.8. Couple of Wi-Fi devices get their IP via the Actiontec with DNS set as 8.8.8.8

Network connections on G1100:

Network(Home/Office)

Broadband ; Cable disconnected

5G, 2.4G and Ethernet all status connected.

I really want to use the Guest Network for visitors but can’t seem to get internet connection. I have tried multiple times to enable the broadband connection on the G1100 with no avail. Have tried multiple ways to engage the broadband network, then placing the RG45 into the WAN port after power cycle to no avail.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: No internet on Gateway G1100 Guest Network when router used in Access Pont mode
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are going to need routing from router that is connected to internet to actiontec for 192.168.200 network on guest lan

0 Likes
Re: No internet on Gateway G1100 Guest Network when router used in Access Pont mode
shearwater17

If I understand the reponse correctly, I cant do it with the topology that I have. That is using the G1100 strictly as a WiFi Access Point (WAP) and not a router. Is that a correct interpretation? Might you have a sggestion with the topology that I have?imageMy Topology

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@shearwater17 wrote:

If I understand the reponse correctly, I cant do it with the topology that I have. That is using the G1100 strictly as a WiFi Access Point (WAP) and not a router. Is that a correct interpretation? Might you have a sggestion with the topology that I have?imageMy Topology

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios

The above link gives step by step instructions.

now having said that you can just use the Quantum Gateway G1100 at primary to the internet, then enable the guest network under wifi in the Quantum. You then place your secondary router into access mode. The access point router will have the 192.168.1.x assigned ip's.

the Quantum will have the primary dns and if you turn off the wifi and use your access point router for wifi again you should be able to use your wifi guest network on that.

this is quite easy it just seems hard the way I am explaining it. Follow the link I gave you. 

Good Luck 

0 Likes
shearwater17

Thank you for the followup. I wish not to make the G1100 the primary with wireless on becasue of the wireless password appearing on the net. I wish only to use wireless on the other router. I use the Actiontec near my ONT for convenience and the G1100 (dual band) on my living floor in the middle of the house for good distribution of WiFi signal.  I have looked previously at the Url you indicated. Good info but none addresses my issue. For now I have setup an old Dlink624 as a work around AP, used only for guest wifi until I find a solution I am happy with.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@shearwater17 wrote:

Thank you for the followup. I wish not to make the G1100 the primary with wireless on becasue of the wireless password appearing on the net. I wish only to use wireless on the other router. I use the Actiontec near my ONT for convenience and the G1100 (dual band) on my living floor in the middle of the house for good distribution of WiFi signal.  I have looked previously at the Url you indicated. Good info but none addresses my issue. For now I have setup an old Dlink624 as a work around AP, used only for guest wifi until I find a solution I am happy with.

We seem to be misunderstanding what I wrote. You place the Quantum G1100 as primary (WITH THE QUANTUM GATEWAYS WIFI TURNED OFF) you use your secondary router as (ACCESS POINT WITH WIFI ON) you then if in fear of having any wifi being seen simply turn off the SSID broadcast but it is a little more to get a wifi connection since you must have your actual SSID name to the exact spelling, and the same with the password.  If this is done correctly there should be no issue.

i did notice my first paragraph could have thrown you off. In my previous reply I simply meant have the Quantum as primary, then go into the router and turn all the wifi access off after you use the other access point router. Then wifi is on the second router and not the Gateway router. Sorry 

0 Likes
shearwater17

Thank you for the followup. I guess I may be missing something or I did not explain it well enough. The Guest Network wifi is a function on the Gateway G1100, along with the dual band, 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi. As far as I know, the Actiontec, which I had previously been using for 2 years as my wifi access point, only has a 2.4G wifi band. So when you indicate to set up the Gateway G1100 as my primary, then turn off its wifi, and turn on the wifi on the Actiontec, how do I access the guest network on the gateway G1100 if the wireless is off?

I want to use the all three channels of the wifi on the gateway G100, the dual band, 2.4 and 5 AND the guest network, but I do NOT want to make it my primary becasue of the published passwords on my account.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@shearwater17 wrote:

Thank you for the followup. I guess I may be missing something or I did not explain it well enough. The Guest Network wifi is a function on the Gateway G1100, along with the dual band, 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi. As far as I know, the Actiontec, which I had previously been using for 2 years as my wifi access point, only has a 2.4G wifi band. So when you indicate to set up the Gateway G1100 as my primary, then turn off its wifi, and turn on the wifi on the Actiontec, how do I access the guest network on the gateway G1100 if the wireless is off?

I want to use the all three channels of the wifi on the gateway G100, the dual band, 2.4 and 5 AND the guest network, but I do NOT want to make it my primary becasue of the published passwords on my account.

Ah ha...now I understand better. Here is a better solution but will cost some money.

if the actiontec does not have the 2.4-5-guest network I would buy a newer router like a Netgear higher end router, or another widely used router. Then use that is AP mode and operate the newer routers tribands and guest networks. 

I use a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 and the wifi is far superior to any Verizon router at present. There is a brand new Netgear router which is rated even higher than my $400 one. Like I said spending large money is how these new routers are sold.

also remember there are cheaper routers that have full 2.4 and 5 band as well as built in guest networks 

Good Luck 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

One thing is missing from your diagram.

That is subnets.

That will help fix the problem.

As I said, the most likely issue is that the router you are using to connect directlyto ONT, doesn't know how to route packets to the guest wifi network on 192.168.200.x

0 Likes
shearwater17

I think I get it. I need to create a routing from the ActionTec to the Gateway G1100. Here is the latest. You can see the routing I created at the bottom. Now for some reason, my wireless devices cant get an IP from the guest network. This occurred before I created the routing.imageTopology

0 Likes