No longer able to ping / tracert to VPN host at work
ecd1973

Up until a week ago, I was able to VPN to my work using a Cisco VPN client.  Now, the host name at work is unreachable via ping or tracert.  The vpn client tells me "host not responding" which matches what ping and tracert tell me.  Is there something that would have changed on the FIOS side that would make the host unreachable?  My work swears nothing changed on their end.  Please help.  Thanks.

Eric

0 Likes
Re: No longer able to ping / tracert to VPN host at work
ecd1973
Is it possible my router's IP address changed in the past week or so?  What would cause it to change?  My VPN worked up until a few weeks ago, and work says nothing changed, so I have to assume I got a new IP that is blocked at work?  Does anyone know if FIOS recently made a change to the IP addresses assigned in the northeast?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@ecd1973 wrote:
Is it possible my router's IP address changed in the past week or so?  What would cause it to change?  My VPN worked up until a few weeks ago, and work says nothing changed, so I have to assume I got a new IP that is blocked at work?  Does anyone know if FIOS recently made a change to the IP addresses assigned in the northeast?

Absolutely your IP address may have changed. It probably does not change very often, but any time the lease expires and your router requests a new address, it may get the same one (usually does) but not always. And the address may be in any number of ranges, Verizon adds new ranges every so often so you can never be sure what range you will be on.

You can obviously log into your router and see what your current IP address is. Depending on what browser you are using you may also get a add-on/plugin that will display that information at all times; I am using Firefox and have an extension called Live IP Address that displays my current IP address at the bottom of the Firefox window; I have it set to check every 16 minutes to see if the address has changed and if so display the new one.

As far as I know, Verizon does not offer any option for residential accounts to have a static IP address. However, you can get a static address if you are willing to pay for a business account.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
ecd1973

@Justin wrote:

@ecd1973 wrote:

Absolutely your IP address may have changed. It probably does not change very often, but any time the lease expires and your router requests a new address, it may get the same one (usually does) but not always. And the address may be in any number of ranges, Verizon adds new ranges every so often so you can never be sure what range you will be on.

You can obviously log into your router and see what your current IP address is. Depending on what browser you are using you may also get a add-on/plugin that will display that information at all times; I am using Firefox and have an extension called Live IP Address that displays my current IP address at the bottom of the Firefox window; I have it set to check every 16 minutes to see if the address has changed and if so display the new one.

As far as I know, Verizon does not offer any option for residential accounts to have a static IP address. However, you can get a static address if you are willing to pay for a business account.

Keller, TX 76248

That makes it pretty difficult to work from home if my IP here can just change at random.  Is it possible even the first set changes as well?  Like an entirely different range?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@ecd1973 wrote:

That makes it pretty difficult to work from home if my IP here can just change at random.  Is it possible even the first set changes as well?  Like an entirely different range?

Yes.

I'm retired so I do not use VPN for anything. But I know there are people using Verizon FiOS and VPN successfully, I just don't know what they do to be successful. I used to write down my IP address occasionally out of curiosity, I am now on 173.x.x.x, I know I have been on 71.x.x.x within the last year, pretty sure I have been on at least two others in the almost 4 years I have had FiOS Internet.

Would your company spring for the cost of a business account with a static IP? That would completely fix the problem. Other than that, all I can suggest is to watch your address with some tool, and contact your tech support when it changes.

Hopefully someone else here will be using VPN successfully with FIOS residential service and be able to help more than I can. Good luck.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1

Your company should allow  you to access your VPN network from any public IP address.  They shouldn't be locking you down to a single IP address because the public addrss of the VZ network may change plus how would they expect you to log in from another location such as a hotel or Internet hotspot. 

I would ask if they have you locked to a single IP address.  I would also connect to an Internet hotspot such as Panera Bread, Starbucks or McDonalds and see if the problem exists there.  

Jim

0 Likes
ecd1973

@jumpin68 wrote:

Your company should allow  you to access your VPN network from any public IP address.  They shouldn't be locking you down to a single IP address because the public addrss of the VZ network may change plus how would they expect you to log in from another location such as a hotel or Internet hotspot. 

I would ask if they have you locked to a single IP address.  I would also connect to an Internet hotspot such as Panera Bread, Starbucks or McDonalds and see if the problem exists there.  

Jim

My IT department says they are not blocking my IP 173.XXX.XXX.XXX  The fact remains that FIOS changed my IP to 173.XXX.XXX.XXX about a week ago, and ever since then I am unable to ping my VPN host.  

0 Likes
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1

Ok...At this point I would try to VPN from another location such as a friend/relatives home, Internet hotstop, etc.  Let us know what happens.

Jim

0 Likes
ecd1973

@jumpin68 wrote:

Ok...At this point I would try to VPN from another location such as a friend/relatives home, Internet hotstop, etc.  Let us know what happens.

Jim

I am able to ping my VPN from my brother-in-law's house (who has comcast).  It seems as though it may be the FIOS router? Would the router block ping attempts?

0 Likes
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1

Log into your Actiontec router and go to Firewall Settings.  Which radio button is enabled?  Maximum, Typical, Minimal.

0 Likes