Re: No longer able to ping / tracert to VPN host at work
ecd1973

@jumpin68 wrote:

Log into your Actiontec router and go to Firewall Settings.  Which radio button is enabled?  Maximum, Typical, Minimal.

Typical, but also tried Minimal as well.

0 Likes
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1
From the router go to My Network.  For the IP address of your VPN device, look at box next to the IP Address.  check the block internet service and see if anything is listed here.
0 Likes
ecd1973

@jumpin68 wrote:
From the router go to My Network.  For the IP address of your VPN device, look at box next to the IP Address.  check the block internet service and see if anything is listed here.

No, nothing blocked there.  The router settings are set to whatever default settings are set by verizon.

0 Likes
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1
Can you ping any device at your company?  What about pinging a device on the internet while VPN is running?  Can you run tracert at all?  If you run tracert to an ip address (vs. the dns name) see where it fails.
0 Likes
ecd1973

@jumpin68 wrote:
Can you ping any device at your company?  What about pinging a device on the internet while VPN is running?  Can you run tracert at all?  If you run tracert to an ip address (vs. the dns name) see where it fails.

The first thing my vpn client does is try to reach my VPN host over the internet.  It doesn't recognize the host as a valid host and then shuts down, this is before the VPN is even connected.  I can't ping or tracert successfully to the VPN host either, via DNS name or IP address, the ping times out for all 4 attempts, and the tracert times out once it hits the IP i'm trying to get to.

0 Likes
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1

I assume you are doing this from the same computer?  When you did this test from your brother-in-laws house, I assume you are doing this on a laptop that you brought from home?

Can you ping the VPN from a different PC?  Also try to ping the VPN from the Actiontec router.

0 Likes
ecd1973

@jumpin68 wrote:

I assume you are doing this from the same computer?  When you did this test from your brother-in-laws house, I assume you are doing this on a laptop that you brought from home?

Can you ping the VPN from a different PC?  Also try to ping the VPN from the Actiontec router.

I just tried to ping the VPN host from different PCs and I can ping everywhere I have tried except for computers hooked up at home.  How do I ping the VPN from the router itself?

0 Likes
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1

Under Advanced choose diagnostics

You should be able to use either IP address or dns name.

0 Likes
ecd1973

@jumpin68 wrote:

Under Advanced choose diagnostics

You should be able to use either IP address or dns name.

Here is an awesome story I have to share with you all.  I just called Verizon's FIOS Internet Tech Support for help with this, and they said I should maybe try turning off the firewall in the Actiontec router in case that is blocking something.  I asked him how to do this, and he said "We don't support changing settings on your work's routhers".  I said, "No, this is the FIOS router".  After a long pause, I get "We don't support firewall settings on routers".  I said "In your own router?  Even though that is what you just suggested?"  he said "Yes".  He then said the internet is a helpful resource to determine how to do this!  Simply awesome display of support.  Wow, I am speechless.

Anyway,  how do I turn off the firewall completely on the Actiontec?  I see where I can set it to minimum, but I want to try turning it off completely.  Thanks everyone who is reading and responding to this for all of your help, I really do appreciate it.

0 Likes
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1

Since minimal says accept in and out, one would think that is almost the same as having no firewall.

Were you able to ping your VPN from the Actiontec router?  Also, try disable the firewall on your PC.   Maybe somethig there is blocking.

0 Likes