No phone no internet basic tv works
jeff3f1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I’ve rebooted the ONT (fios box on wall) twice, and Verizon rebooted it...I’ve rebooted the modem a few times (both by unplugging and by telling it to). The router reports a working MOCA local network and the regular network is working fine as I can connect to the router from a different Wi-Fi access point within the home network. 

All lights on the ONT are normal, including its MOCA light. The router shows an error in its effort to make a broadband coax connection. There is also no POTS dialtone. I can watch regular TV using the set top box.

verizon tried to test over internet but says that test failed. Calling in says a 2-3 hour wait time. I’m going to have to move a bunch of basement crap to get the techs access to the ONT as it sounds like it’s the problem. Not sure why I’m posting but I still haven’t successfully contacted Verizon and I’m at a loss. 

Edit it to add that my router is now reporting a broadband connection but I have no internet connectivity still. This is how it was when I began to troubleshoot in morning. I know outage happened overnight but I didn’t get up to troubleshoot until morning. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No phone no internet basic tv works
jeff3f1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I learned a bit--I spent about 2.5 hours on this, and throughout it became clear that my router was working OK and that the ONT seemed to think it was working OK. It turned out to be a temporary outage that wasn't showing up on their website.

I tried to telephone verizon but they don't staff very well and there was a 2-3 hour wait time.  THey called back while I was in the shower of course.

But I was able to facebook chat with them almost instantly, and when I mentioned that I had gone through the automatic tools and that they said I needed more help, they quickly checked and found an outage that was restored a few hours later, hours before the estimated time. (I was able to check from work by trying to call home - during the outage the call wouldn't complete).

So for me, the moral of the story was, once I got the automated tool to admit defeat the first time, I needed to contact right away (using FB chat).  While FB is invasive, they are a third party and the functionality was superior to trying verizon's website chat (didn't work and I don't know why) or telephone (which was unacceptably busy).

Thanks for asking, and sorry to the community that I did not update once I solved the issue, which was on verizon's side.  I had a very positive interaction with the agent, and it did NOT feel overly cut/pasted which I appreciated. It felt like a person who was allowed to say what they wanted instead of following a script.  It was appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

When test failed, what was their response? Are they hoping to dispatch?

jeff3f1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I learned a bit--I spent about 2.5 hours on this, and throughout it became clear that my router was working OK and that the ONT seemed to think it was working OK. It turned out to be a temporary outage that wasn't showing up on their website.

I tried to telephone verizon but they don't staff very well and there was a 2-3 hour wait time.  THey called back while I was in the shower of course.

But I was able to facebook chat with them almost instantly, and when I mentioned that I had gone through the automatic tools and that they said I needed more help, they quickly checked and found an outage that was restored a few hours later, hours before the estimated time. (I was able to check from work by trying to call home - during the outage the call wouldn't complete).

So for me, the moral of the story was, once I got the automated tool to admit defeat the first time, I needed to contact right away (using FB chat).  While FB is invasive, they are a third party and the functionality was superior to trying verizon's website chat (didn't work and I don't know why) or telephone (which was unacceptably busy).

Thanks for asking, and sorry to the community that I did not update once I solved the issue, which was on verizon's side.  I had a very positive interaction with the agent, and it did NOT feel overly cut/pasted which I appreciated. It felt like a person who was allowed to say what they wanted instead of following a script.  It was appreciated.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Never heard anyone use fb chat for FiOS support.

What fb page did you go to for chat?

0 Likes
jeff3f1
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the Contact Us part of the support site, there was a button. This was on my phone (which was my only device with Internet during the outage), and this then opened a chat session in the FB messenger app with “Fios”. One could go straight to the Fios FB page and initiate a chat, I would imagine. 

0 Likes