Re: Non-Fios router installation
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b

I am quite informed today. I was wondering for a long time why there is an option under the Firewall saying "Allow outbound Set Top Box Traffic."

You are correct. I just checked the Cisco Set Top Box Manual, it requires connection to home network either through MoCA or Ethernet. I am not sure how the TV works so probably gave wrong directions regarding the ONT coax port.

Re: Non-Fios router installation
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are correct. I just checked the Cisco Set Top Box Manual, it requires connection to home network either through MoCA or Ethernet. I am not sure how the TV works so probably gave wrong directions regarding the ONT coax port.

While the Cisco boxes were designed to support Ethernet or MoCA LAN, Ethernet LAN was never enabled or used by Verizon.  The old boxes must be connected to coax for both linear TV and MoCA LAN.  Linear TV comes from the ONT, MoCA LAN comes from the router.  The router, ONT and set-top-boxes must be connected to coax so everything works.

The newest FiOS ONE set-top-system has some more options.  The main box must be connected to coax for the same reasons as above.  The remote, or "mini" boxes are pure IP devices that connect to the main box over the LAN.  They can be connected by MoCA, Ethernet or WiFi.

But we've no idea what model of set-top-boxes the OP has.

Go check out the FAQ I posted earlier.  It will educate you on a lot of these issues.

Re: Non-Fios Router Installation
Patdi1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I removed the ethernet from the ONT to FIOS WAN and plug it into a PC and MAC same result, speed is the same as the ASUS connection

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Reinstall the Verizon router with Ethernet WAN to the ONT.  Remove the other router.  Run the Verizon speed test (https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/).  If the router speed test is well below 1Gbps, contact Verizon support.  That's the only speed test they will recognize.

You may want to start with their social media support team, as they can be more helpful than the typical support people.  Contact them through @Verizonsupport on Twitter or by posing in https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Patdi wrote:

I removed the ethernet from the ONT to FIOS WAN and plug it into a PC and MAC same result, speed is the same as the ASUS connection

That seems like an ONT issue or something is wrong with the incoming fiber connection. You would definitely want to test the speed from verizon.com/speedtest

I just tested mine, which is 850/884 Mbps